4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

tko 600!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 10:14 PM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

Default tko 600!!!!!!!!

where would i find one to buy!?!??!? will it bolt right up to my gt!?
Old 05-01-2008, 11:10 PM
prochargedGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: tko 600!!!!!!!!

you need a different bell housing and different tranny mounts and if im not mistaken you need a new yoke...you can find them http://www.manualtransmission.com/
Old 05-02-2008, 04:55 AM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: timeformiller44

Steeda is pretty reasonable, and I believe Maximum Motorsports, THR, and JEGS have them also.

You will most likely need:

New throw out bearing
Would recommend a short throw shifter, especially with the 600, though not required..
New drive-shaft, and MAYBE a drive-shaft spacer, I'm not too sure about 01 GT's..
New slip-yoke for the tranny
New Bell housing
And to be honest I'd look into getting a beefed up clutch/flywheel if you can afford it, cause the TKO will handle a LOT more power than the stock GT clutch/flywheel will.

Anyway, hope that helps.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:09 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Subotai_95

Steeda is pretty reasonable, and I believe Maximum Motorsports, THR, and JEGS have them also.

New throw out bearing
Would recommend a short throw shifter, especially with the 600, though not required..
New drive-shaft, and MAYBE a drive-shaft spacer, I'm not too sure about 01 GT's..
New Bell housing
And to be honest I'd look into getting a beefed up clutch/flywheel if you can afford it, cause the TKO will handle a LOT more power than the stock GT clutch/flywheel will.

Anyway, hope that helps.
You don't need a yoke, short throw, or drive shaft. the spacer is optional, I don't have one. You also don't need a new tranny mount, but yuo will have to notch the stock one.

The TKO 600 is also not ideal for your setup, unless you are completely not interested in drag racing. The 600 has a much longer gear than the 500/stock mustang transmissions, which can make it harder to get off the line.

Your going to need a new clutch if you go to a 26T input shaft, which I recommend. You can do this on the 500, but the 600s I beileve are all 26T.

Search tool/stickys own you all!

https://mustangforums.com/m_2832353/tm.htm
Old 05-02-2008, 05:56 AM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

New throw out bearing
New Bell housing

Anyway, hope that helps.
You don't need a yoke, short throw, or drive shaft. the spacer is optional, I don't have one. You also don't need a new tranny mount, but yuo will have to notch the stock one.

The TKO 600 is also not ideal for your setup, unless you are completely not interested in drag racing. The 600 has a much longer gear than the 500/stock mustang transmissions, which can make it harder to get off the line.

Your going to need a new clutch if you go to a 26T input shaft, which I recommend. You can do this on the 500, but the 600s I beileve are all 26T.

This is a little confusing to me, because when I had the 3650 when I bought my TKO 600, and both the guys from DynoTuned Performance in VA Beach, and Steeda, and Jegs, all said I needed to get a new driveshaft and slip yoke. They even had to grind a little on the D/S I bought in order to get it to fit, which I guess is indicative of the taller gear in the 600. I also said the short throw isn't required, or the clutch/flywheel unless he goes with the 600 vis the 500, just prefereable at least for me anyway. I HATED the long *** reach to 5th on the stock shifters. Just wonder maybe if I got screwed out of about 800 bucks that I didn't need to spend. lol But I was honestly under the impression you had to have all of that stuff to switch out to a TKO-600 from a stocker 3650. [&:]
Old 05-02-2008, 06:07 AM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

well i will have a spec stage 2 clutch and all that....so would a tko500 be more ideal to get over the 600 or would i be doing the same things to make them both fit/work
Old 05-02-2008, 08:55 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

New throw out bearing
New Bell housing

Anyway, hope that helps.

This is a little confusing to me, because when I had the 3650 when I bought my TKO 600, and both the guys from DynoTuned Performance in VA Beach, and Steeda, and Jegs, all said I needed to get a new driveshaft and slip yoke. They even had to grind a little on the D/S I bought in order to get it to fit, which I guess is indicative of the taller gear in the 600. I also said the short throw isn't required, or the clutch/flywheel unless he goes with the 600 vis the 500, just prefereable at least for me anyway. I HATED the long *** reach to 5th on the stock shifters. Just wonder maybe if I got screwed out of about 800 bucks that I didn't need to spend. lol But I was honestly under the impression you had to have all of that stuff to switch out to a TKO-600 from a stocker 3650. [&:]
The TKO 600 and TKO 500 are in the same case, so driveshaft length is the same on both. I still have my stock style yoke. I am acutally running a FRPP alumium driveshaft, which comes with a yoke, that is the part number for the 99-04 GT cars. There should be no difference between a 3650 and 45 in this respect.

D&D thought I needed a new yoke as well, but I did not. Also, the TKO 500/600 comes with a hurst short throw wich is VERY short. If you didn't get this they screwed you hard, you should not have had to buy a short throw.

There is no way they put the stock 3650 shifter in there anyway, cause it will not bolt up.

What driveshaft did they supposedly sell you? I have never even seen a driveshaft that is supposed to specifically be for a 99-04 GT to TKO swap....
Old 05-02-2008, 08:57 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

well i will have a spec stage 2 clutch and all that....so would a tko500 be more ideal to get over the 600 or would i be doing the same things to make them both fit/work
IMO you would be much better off going with the 500. The steeper 1st gear in the 500 is better for a low tq/high horsepower setup like a 4.6, and regardless more gear in 1st = better for a drag style car. The 500 has a slightly longer 1st than a stock stang trans, but not much different.

So far as your clutch, you can do what I did and order a 500 with a 10 spline input, but honestly I wish I had not done this. The 26T is stronger, but in reality you really don't need to worry about it unless your planning on some wheels up launches with slicks, and even then it is much stronger than the stock 45/3650.

Lets put it this way, you are very unlikely to ever break a 500, let alone a 600. If you do, you will break the 10 spline input, and all you would have to do is buy a 26T input shaft, replace it, and upgrade the clutch at the same time.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:55 AM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

New throw out bearing
New Bell housing

Anyway, hope that helps.

The TKO 600 and TKO 500 are in the same case, so driveshaft length is the same on both. I still have my stock style yoke. I am acutally running a FRPP alumium driveshaft, which comes with a yoke, that is the part number for the 99-04 GT cars. There should be no difference between a 3650 and 45 in this respect.

D&D thought I needed a new yoke as well, but I did not. Also, the TKO 500/600 comes with a hurst short throw wich is VERY short. If you didn't get this they screwed you hard, you should not have had to buy a short throw.

There is no way they put the stock 3650 shifter in there anyway, cause it will not bolt up.

What driveshaft did they supposedly sell you? I have never even seen a driveshaft that is supposed to specifically be for a 99-04 GT to TKO swap....
Ahh.. well... methinks I got screwed then.. [&:]Because when I ordered the TKO from Steeda no mention was ever made of a Hurst short throw being included, or I wouldn't have even bothered buying the Tri-ax I bought as they're both just a good. As far as D/S I bought the Aluminum D/S assembly for the 99-04 mustang from them. And I don't think it was specifically for the swap I did, just the spline rating change from the 3650 to the TKO. Didn't really have a whole lot of specific knowledge about who had the best prices for stang parts when I started doing this last year.. Guess I'll be a little more careful about dealing with Steeda in the future. [:@]Still, I DID want an aluminum D/S anyway.. On the scale of the money I spent the shifter and the yoke weren't THAT much *** pain, still, that's probably 500 bucks I didn't have to spend. [>:]