4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I Need Help Please! Anyone else with this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:34 AM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I Need Help Please! Anyone else with this problem?

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

ORIGINAL: 99gtstang

wow
this site has turned to ****
when i joined in 06 it was a real forum everyone put there 2 cents in
now if you don't talk about wheels, gears, or exhaust there's no point in posting.

I have a real problem with my car and get 0 responses

[/align][/align]And you gave it a whole 2 hours and 7 minutes... I suspect that after the snotty response a lot of people walked away.[/align][/align]Anyway, the problem is obviously heat related and since the PCM is not throwing any permanent codes it is thinkingit's just an occasional misfire. Why the "good mechanic"was of no help will apparently remain a mystery.[/align][/align]It could be fuel related, however the fact that it's kicking at a specific (and higher) RPM leads me to suspect one or more bad plugs, COPs, and/or COP boot/spring--all of which could cause the spark to weaken and blowout as the CC pressure increases (requiring more voltage to fire the plug).[/align][/align]You said the plugs were replaced at 100k, what kind of plugs did you install? If they were not premium platinum or better then they could very possibly be toast after 42k miles. In any event, yank 'em and see what they look like. This will also let you know if it's a fueling issue (which I doubt 'cause the PCM is pretty good at reporting rich/lean) as consistently running rich or lean will cause the plug to appear dark or white in colouration.[/align][/align]
just in general any time i ask a real tech question which i rarely do i do not get much help. i posted the same q last week and got 1 or 2 responses.

Thanks cliffy i will focus on all that tonight..... take everything off and check out.......

i put factory ford plugs back in... do you have any advice on which plug i should do this time?
Old 05-06-2008, 05:56 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

wow
now if you don't talk about wheels, gears, or exhaust there's no point in posting.

[/align][/align]And you gave it a whole 2 hours and 7 minutes... I suspect that after the snotty response a lot of people walked away.[/align][/align]Anyway, the problem is obviously heat related and since the PCM is not throwing any permanent codes it is thinkingit's just an occasional misfire. Why the "good mechanic"was of no help will apparently remain a mystery.[/align][/align]It could be fuel related, however the fact that it's kicking at a specific (and higher) RPM leads me to suspect one or more bad plugs, COPs, and/or COP boot/spring--all of which could cause the spark to weaken and blowout as the CC pressure increases (requiring more voltage to fire the plug).[/align][/align]You said the plugs were replaced at 100k, what kind of plugs did you install? If they were not premium platinum or better then they could very possibly be toast after 42k miles. In any event, yank 'em and see what they look like. This will also let you know if it's a fueling issue (which I doubt 'cause the PCM is pretty good at reporting rich/lean) as consistently running rich or lean will cause the plug to appear dark or white in colouration.[/align][/align]
just in general any time i ask a real tech question which i rarely do i do not get much help. i posted the same q last week and got 1 or 2 responses.

Thanks cliffy i will focus on all that tonight..... take everything off and check out.......

i put factory ford plugs back in... do you have any advice on which plug i should do this time?
[/align][/align]Whatever, however I think a2 hour later followup message along the lines of "I'm really under the gun here, and need your help"? would have solicited a lot more response than "wow this site has turned to ****..."[/align][/align]Lord knows I can be as big an @$$hole as anyone (something I have exhibited here more than once), nonetheless knocking people down for not responding immediately during the "getting home form work/having dinner with the family" hours can be a big turn-off...[/align][/align]----------------------[/align]I don't know what "factory plugs" means, but let's assume you got them from a Ford dealer (mistake #1)--in which case who knows what they sold you--yank 'em and let us know what you see.
[/align]
Old 05-06-2008, 09:02 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

I hear you but... you cannot say this forum has not changed in the last 2 years...........

plugs... i tried autolite.. then went to MOTORCRAFT factory replacement plugs....

what would you advise (plugs) will get tommorrow... got a fuel filter tonight... i have not changed it since i bought my car at 104K has 142 now.... who's knows...

i seen a tv show about E3 plugs....???
Old 05-07-2008, 03:50 AM
fyouceeku
1st Gear Member

wow

Sucks to be you. Why not learn some troubleshooting skills instead of leaching from others and then whine when you don't get your question answered in 5 minutes. :fu:
Old 05-07-2008, 06:12 AM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fyouceeku

wow

Sucks to be you. Why not learn some troubleshooting skills instead of leaching from others and then whine when you don't get your question answered in 5 minutes. :fu:
Is that the best you can think of? It was 2 hours 7 minutes
Old 05-10-2008, 05:45 AM
dynamicmustangt

This issue sounds like when my '05 had t a bad fuel pump. I know its a different car, model yr, but it might be the fuel system. My 98 Taurus had 238,000miles and died because of the fuel filter.