4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

throttle body and plenium

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 04:16 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Default RE: throttle body and plenium

ORIGINAL: dh04 red gt

What is the best throttle body plenium combo to put on an 04 gt with slight boltons. should I go witha 75mm or a 70mm throttle and what brand to use.
I wouldn't waste my money if I were you.
If you insist, find a person on ebay who didn't listen and is now selling their's for 75 percent less than they paid for it.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:44 AM
dh04 red gt
2nd Gear Member

why just because a mod only gives minimal hp does not mean its not worth it 4 or 5 hp gain although you will probably not feal the diffrence. added to other 5hp mods adds up. just because one single mod wont throw you back in your seat does that mean its not worth it. I think not. i'm tired of hearing that low hp gain mods are not worth it. I've done minimal mods like xpipe,tuner and cai. and now a new plenium and t/b and I've been happy with my results so far. You don't need to s/c your car to make it faster or to just have fun with it.
ORIGINAL: undecided.steve

ORIGINAL: dh04 red gt

What is the best throttle body plenium combo to put on an 04 gt with slight boltons. should I go witha 75mm or a 70mm throttle and what brand to use.
I wouldn't waste my money if I were you.
If you insist, find a person on ebay who didn't listen and is now selling their's for 75 percent less than they paid for it.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:26 PM
CubanoGT
2nd Gear Member

you tell them dh04 red gt lol i agree with you.. my simple bolt ons have kept me happy.. btw i was just about to ask the same ? about the TB/plenum. Btw.. im pretty ****en sure.. my tune/intake didnt just add 5hp.. i have beaat! stock gts left n right..
Old 06-07-2008, 02:39 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

Everybody thinks that a supercharger or turbo is the way to go, and it is..... but how many of us have 5 or 6 grand to drop like that. i know that i dont, so the only other option we have is bolt-ons. no matter how small the hp gain is ITS STILL A GAIN!!!!!!!! and allmost every bolt on will help with the hp when we do get a s/c or turbo.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:26 PM
mestit3
2nd Gear Member

thats a good point, but every little 2 or 3 hundred dollar bolt on you do gets you 5 hp and 2 or 3 hundred dollars further from a s/c
Old 06-07-2008, 11:51 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

who really has that kind will power????? it would take me over 2 years to save enough cash to drop on a s/c. theres no way in hell i could go 2 years with out modding my stang!!!!
Old 06-08-2008, 12:01 AM
mestit3
2nd Gear Member

thats also true, but sometimes i just wish i had every nickel i ever spent on this car back towards a s/c or h/c/i
Old 06-08-2008, 01:52 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

If it floats your boat go for it but for $400 (Accufab combo) gears would be a much better mod for your car.
Yes all this stuff adds up and of course it's fun to do and if you do enough boltons it will add up but just don't expect to experience too much bang for your buck.
By the time you start adding all this stuff up and consider the time spent, you just may not be satisfied with the results.

It all depends upon what expect to get out of the car.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:55 AM
dh04 red gt
2nd Gear Member

i already have gears was the first thing I did went with 373 gears.
ORIGINAL: undecided.steve

If it floats your boat go for it but for $400 (Accufab combo) gears would be a much better mod for your car.
Yes all this stuff adds up and of course it's fun to do and if you do enough boltons it will add up but just don't expect to experience too much bang for your buck.
By the time you start adding all this stuff up and consider the time spent, you just may not be satisfied with the results.

It all depends upon what expect to get out of the car.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:05 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

If you already have gears and are not intending to FI I would go with a 70MM combo.
Accufab is most expensive, typically does best in the tests but only by 1hp or so which is not going to matter.
Most people by them for the looks and the build quality although I've seen more than one recently that was pitted more than it should be.
Professional Products and Trickflow are also nice.

Like others have said, these bolt ons add up in cost and time and what typically happens is that when you reach the end of the line and run out of bolt ons to install you have spent a great deal of money and you haven't raised the HP of your car nearly as much as the dollar figure should indicate.

Yes, you will get better performance.
Yes you can spread the cost out over time and a lot of people don't have the $$$ to drop on a SC which is understandable.
And of course it is fun modding the car, doing it yourself and enjoying the results.
All I am saying is if you are looking for a very noticeable increase in power and torque vs money forget about the bolt ons.

Also, take any figure you read about in the magazines, websites, etc with a grain of salt.
With some of these mods the weather on the day of the dyno run probably played more of a factor than the mod itself.
Same goes for the Dyno itself and the operator.

In conclusion, I'm old school and basically am a believer in the bolt-on approach and if I had an S197 I would see some serious gains but the SN95 2V just do not respond as well mostly because they do not breath well compared to the 3v motors.

Pop a CAI and tune (required for just about any CAI on S197) and you have an instant verifiable 25+ HP.

A friend of mine went the full bolt on with heads, cams (mild) Kooks long tubes, gears, TB and a good dyno tune and when he finally finished after about 2 years of modding he was unhappy overall with the cost, time vs performance and wished he had gone FI from the start.
I've driven as well as raced (informally) against his car and yes it's noticeably faster than my stock GT and he beats me but not as much as he expected.
For DD driving though, which was his goal for this car (mild cam etc), the big difference is in the sound of the car not so much the driving.

His usual comment when asked about the car is "I've learned a lot, drank too many beers and had a lot of fun".

It all depends upon what your expectations are for the car.

Here is a link from MMFF where they did basic bolt ons and got 20hp 35ftlb torque

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ons/index.html

Take it with a grain of salt as you will rarely see a bad review in these magazines.

Oh, and my apologies for being crass with the comment about saving your money.
That was uncalled for.

Happy modding!