4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 10:04 AM
marseea1
1st Gear Member

Default sway bars

hey guys are sway bars something i should invest in? will they do anything for my car
Old 06-06-2008, 11:51 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Default RE: sway bars

ORIGINAL: marseea1

hey guys are sway bars something i should invest in? will they do anything for my car
You should already have them

Install some Poly bushings in place of the stock ones and you will notice a difference.
If you want more, check out the Steeda ones or the Eibach Handling Pack.

They help with understeer (front one) and oversteer (rear one) and body roll on turns but understand that bigger is not necessarily better.
You can totally change the handling of a Mustang, for the worse, by installing the wrong parts.

I'd try new bushings first and see how you like it.
It's cheap and easy to do.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:03 AM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Eibach makes a bad *** kit if you plan on upgrading them. Its a good mod but I honestly reccommend some subframe connectors first
Old 06-07-2008, 03:50 AM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

I feel that if it is going to be a drag set up, IMO it is just extra weight. My 2 cents. I have mine removedand it is a street car.I feel no difference until i go over a pot hole the i must fight to keep my car stable, but around my house there are very few.I also feel it in turns so if you do circuit race, u need one, butlike almost everyone else with dragset up, it is just extra weight
Old 06-07-2008, 04:10 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SilvrStang

Eibach makes a bad *** kit if you plan on upgrading them. Its a good mod but I honestly reccommend some subframe connectors first
+10 on Subframes.
Huge difference on Stangs, especially verts.
Strut tower brace makes a big difference on verts.

I have both on my vert and honestly it's like a different car.
I have MM full length subs and MM STB.

+1 for the Eibach kit.
I would say to try bushings first though because they do tighten things up a good deal.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:27 AM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

I went with Hotchkis sway bar set-up. You need aftermarker lower control arms for the rear as their sway bar uses the quad shock mounting bracket. The use of aftermarket LCA's will allow U to remove those quads. Hotchkis is quite expensive and the only reason I went with them is because I installed a complete set-up on a '70 Chevelle SS that I restored for a customer and their set-up did miracles! I like them. They def improved handling. Steering response was much tighter. I have full length sub frame connectors that allow the full use of the sway bars. No car buckling if you will. The Eibach kit is relatively inexpensive and will do the job just fine.

Removing the sway bars does not take off all that much weight. Driving around town with no front swaybar is not that smart. Even the oldest of old cars had sway bars. The rear is just an upgraded option as the V6's didn't use to come with them.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:50 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

The rear sway bar is there to help plant the tires. Upgrading it to a thicker one will help a little but it will make steering a bit different. The front is only there to stop body roll. Taking it off for drag racing will help with weight transfer. It isnt unsafe to leave it off because it really doesnt effect steering. I haven't had any sway bars on my car for over a year and haven't noticed a difference.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:45 AM
marseea1
1st Gear Member

do our mustangs come stock with sway bars. when i bought mine used i had no sway bars, but the rest of the car was completly stock
Old 06-08-2008, 02:00 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marseea1

do our mustangs come stock with sway bars. when i bought mine used i had no sway bars, but the rest of the car was completly stock
Yes they do.