4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Quick lifter question please

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 02:18 PM
n0th1n2kn0vv
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Quick lifter question please

I guess it is the only thing I can do for now. I'll go dissassemble the cam again and soak the HLAs in oil for the day. Thanks for thehelpguys.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:51 PM
1sloblckgt
4th Gear Member

I've always heard that it is BEST to match them in the same spots that they were in... I've also heard that you can mix them up, but that you will probably get more wear and tear on them from the characteristics of the previous spot. I've never heard of putting the lash adjusters in oil to let them pump up... I've done that with lifters, but never lash adjusters...?
Old 06-17-2008, 04:12 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

It's something my father had me do on the first OHC engine I worked on.. I guess the old school moved onto the new school, and I just continued to do it.. I don't think it harms anything, but it may help to do so, just to prevent a dry start..

JT
Old 06-17-2008, 04:13 PM
n0th1n2kn0vv
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1sloblckgt

I've always heard that it is BEST to match them in the same spots that they were in... I've also heard that you can mix them up, but that you will probably get more wear and tear on them from the characteristics of the previous spot. I've never heard of putting the lash adjusters in oil to let them pump up... I've done that with lifters, but never lash adjusters...?
Well, since there is not much wear on them (none that I can see), I'll just hope for the best.. I put the HLAs in oil and stuck a paperclip in themand got 3-4 bubbles out of each one. Does anybody know how long I should let them sit in there? And afterwards, do I wipe the oil off the outside or just stick them in the head with oil?
Old 06-17-2008, 04:15 PM
1sloblckgt
4th Gear Member

It's not going to hurt to just leave the oil on there when you install them. Let em' sit over night.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:16 PM
n0th1n2kn0vv
1st Gear Member

Ok, will do. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:18 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

You can just stick them in the head with the oil, it's not going to harm anything.. If you got some air out, then they should be fine.. I never opened up the oil port, so it was sort of a "gravity bleed," if you will.. The key that was always impressed up with me, was to get the air out of them.. With air in them, they're no long Hydraulic Lash Adjusters, simply lash adjusters.. Provided you have a decent lubrication system, and aduequate oil pressure, if there is any residual air in them, it will be forced out fairly quickly, upon turning the engine over..

Just, whatever you do.... PRIME YOUR ENGINE before you try to start it for the first time... If you don't, it can cause some premature damage to things like your followers and HLAs, and even the cam...

JT
Old 06-17-2008, 04:37 PM
1sloblckgt
4th Gear Member

My father always told me the same thing JT, that's why I am asking myself if I need to do this with my stage 2 build.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:45 PM
n0th1n2kn0vv
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

You can just stick them in the head with the oil, it's not going to harm anything.. If you got some air out, then they should be fine.. I never opened up the oil port, so it was sort of a "gravity bleed," if you will.. The key that was always impressed up with me, was to get the air out of them.. With air in them, they're no long Hydraulic Lash Adjusters, simply lash adjusters.. Provided you have a decent lubrication system, and aduequate oil pressure, if there is any residual air in them, it will be forced out fairly quickly, upon turning the engine over..

Just, whatever you do.... PRIME YOUR ENGINE before you try to start it for the first time... If you don't, it can cause some premature damage to things like your followers and HLAs, and even the cam...

JT
I heard of priming the engine, but I never did it or even seen it done. What exactly does it mean?
Old 06-18-2008, 08:31 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1sloblckgt

My father always told me the same thing JT, that's why I am asking myself if I need to do this with my stage 2 build.

It doesn't hurt to do it to my knowledge.. Whether it's 100% necessary, remains to be completely seen.. I've built a few engines through my life, and I guess the force of habit always out weighed my curiousity of finding out what would happen if I fudged on a step, however insignificant it may seem.. I guess the worst that could happen, in my eyes, is that you have a little (very small amount) of extra oil in the system, which wouldn't be enough to warrant draining any off.. I think you'd be fine doing it, and maybe some of the guys who have more experience with these specific style of HLA (however similar they are to others that I've used), to chime in on it and maybe give some feedback on personal experience..

I wonder what the Factory Service manual suggests..

JT

Quick Reply: Quick lifter question please