4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Gears and recalibration of speedo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:36 PM
bolt.com
1st Gear Member

Default Gears and recalibration of speedo?

So I plan on having 3.73's installed next week and am going to have to get a reflash on my ecu and was wondering.................

Can this only be done on a dyno or can I find somebody who has a tuner and throw them some $$ to re-set the computer to take into account the new gearing.

Sorry if this is a dumbass question. A shop near me was going to charge me $100 to re-set it and Im just not sure how that works..........
Old 06-26-2008, 09:40 PM
oldskool04
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Gears and recalibration of speedo?

most tuners will only work on one car. the only one that i think will work on more than one at a time is the sniper i may be wrong ut i think i heard that on here somewhere. u should get a tuner though, i have sctxcal 3 and i love it
Old 06-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

1. If you have a car older than 1999, tuners will not recalibrate the speedometer.

2. If you have a car 1999 or newer, you can. BUT, as stated before, the tuners are locked into a car when bought. You aren't able to, say, borrow one. Kind of a bummer, but you should seriously consider just buying one to have anyway. If you plan on modding more in the future, you will need to have one anyway.

3. If you don't want to go that route, you have two other options.
A) Get a Speedcal. You hook it up and can change the dials to different settings to compensate for different wheel diameters and gear ratios.
B) Replace the speedo gear. This is the cheapest way to correct it. But for some reason, I think I remember people saying some negative things about them not lasting. I might be wrong though.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:14 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I am planning on getting 3.73's too for my 04 GT and I was wondering if the tuners are user friendly? like can I get my gears installed at the shop and come home and deal with the tuner myself? is it very user friendly such as a drop menu on the PC selecting the new gear ratio and maybe uploading it to the tuner and then plugging into my OBDII port?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 06-27-2008, 06:29 AM
bolt.com
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Injected97GT

1. If you have a car older than 1999, tuners will not recalibrate the speedometer.

2. If you have a car 1999 or newer, you can. BUT, as stated before, the tuners are locked into a car when bought. You aren't able to, say, borrow one. Kind of a bummer, but you should seriously consider just buying one to have anyway. If you plan on modding more in the future, you will need to have one anyway.

3. If you don't want to go that route, you have two other options.
A) Get a Speedcal. You hook it up and can change the dials to different settings to compensate for different wheel diameters and gear ratios.
B) Replace the speedo gear. This is the cheapest way to correct it. But for some reason, I think I remember people saying some negative things about them not lasting. I might be wrong though.

According to the Steeda brochure, there arent any speedo gears for after 2002...............

What the hell is a Speedcal and where would I get one? And Brandon........the Ford specialty speed shops near me are always jammed. Have you checked into what the stealership charges for install of gears? My quote from a tuning shop aroound here was $415 for the gears + install and an extra $100 to recalibrate the speedo.
This sucks.......for a month now, I got $$ to be able to get this much needed mod but schedule conflicts with me and the shops dont allow me to get them put in.

So Im still a bit confused here.

I think it is the Sniper tuner that allows for 3 different tunes.............
Old 06-27-2008, 01:44 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

I'm not sure where you are but over here in LA i've asked around and I've been getting $150-$200 for the gear installs. They are all random garages so they need me to bring in the gears myself and the tuner I assume.

I would much rather take it to a ford dealership to get it istalled. I once heard someone on this forums say that their ford dealership charged them $97 to install a catback so I was thinking wow they actually do installs? I called up my local ford dealership and asked if they do catback installs...

One time someone said if it's aftermarket then no. And then someone told me "uh yeah we can arrange that...." and then another guy said "yeah it's gonna cost around $430 just for the removal of the stock exhaust and install of the new one" I was like F that if I am gonna pay $430 for the catback install I mightaswell go to Gaplin and pay $375 instead
Old 06-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

"What the hell is a SpeedCal" is kind of a rude way of asking. But, it is a little electronic device that you wire up to your car so your speedo can be calibrated to compensate for the difference in gear ratios.

Here is where you can get it:
http://www.dallasmustang.com/page/pr...product=9910ER