4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help! Im getting nickeled and dimed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:34 PM
V8SilverGT

Default Help! Im getting nickeled and dimed!

Ok guys, lots of problems with my car.....starting to wish I didn't buy it. So before I go insane, I figured I'd ask the best.
[align=center]- 2001 GT 100,000 miles -[/align]
1. When I take sharp corners, there is a grinding noise coming from somewhere out back. Almost a "rar-rar-rar"
until I straighten the wheels out. Rear Axle Bearings?

2. When going from reverse to 1st (5 speed), I am starting to here a slight "clunk". Any ideas?

3. When I put my driver's side window up, it screeches like somethings dried up, what can I lube in there?

4. I am on my 3rd set of Fog Light bulbs, it seems to me that when it rains, and I hit big puddles, the water blows up and shatters the bulb, any of you have the same thing going on?

5. My traction control is always off, but my ABS works. The light says "Off" and when the button is pushed, nothing happens...what gives?

6. Anyone ever try, or hear anything about this set up? http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...-violator.html

Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:52 PM
mestit3
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Help! Im getting nickeled and dimed!

1. might be wheel bearings or even a differential depending on what type of rar rar rar
2. never happened to me, mine clunks the other way, from 1st to reverse sometimes.
3. get used to it
4. not sure, but ive had to replace my left one twice and never my right one. (do you touch them when you put them in?)
5. possibly a speed sensor, has your abs light ever been on? if it ever was, the code was stored in the cars computer and ford can read back for x amount of key cycles
Old 07-02-2008, 10:07 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

1. sounds like it could be axle bearings. also could be the lsd going bad.
2. i also never had this happen to me, but does the sound seem to come from the trans or rear?
3.remove the door panel and lube the guides. it will leave residue on the glass for awhile though. or see if its coming from the window regulator while your in there.
4. i also had this problem. my fog lamp housing where letting moisture in blowing my bulbs. you can replace them or turn them off when it rains.
5. has the car been like that since you bought it, maybe it has a program in it. if not may have to take it to a dealer for that one , becuase it could be many things.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:11 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

i just looked up your traction control light concern on the ford site. If just your traction control light switch is on constantly . Its says the causes could be Instrument cluster, ABS module and wiring concerns.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:25 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

1. It could be that someone changed the gear oil with dino oil and did not add (or did not add enough) friction modifier. Most synthetic gear oils do not need the FM because they are already pretty slippery. The LSD clutch plates will bind and make odd noises w/o enough FM. Pull the cover and change the oil, while you're in there see what you can see;[/align][/align]2. Normal. Our cars are basically 1/2 ton pickups with flashy bodies. It's a relatively high torque capacity and therefore relatively high inertia RWD package that will clunk when you change direction of rotation;[/align][/align]3. Pull the door panel and lubricate the guides and guide rails, and anything elsethat moves. It will not get better on its own and will eventually break which will cost a lot more than lubricating it now;[/align][/align]4. Figure out where the water is getting in and seal it up with RTV sealant. Or just remove the silly OEM lights and replace them with real fog or drving lights. In Europe the 899 lamp is usually listed as a "toy/cosmetic fog lamp", it only a piddly 37.5W;[/align][/align]5. It could be the car has a custom tune that has turned off the t/c, what you describe it what happens when t/c has been disabled via reprogramming the PCM;[/align][/align]6. A lot of people have the Pypes stuff, I have not heard any really nasty comments about their systems;[/align]
Old 07-03-2008, 10:01 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Another thing you may want to do, along with checking the seals on the foglights, is using Dielectric grease on the bulb contacts. This will prevent most arcing and blow-outs..

IIRC, if the Center section bearings are going, the sound will be apparent whether going straight or taking turns... A good way to determine if it's axle bearings, is to: A) Remove the wheel, brake caliper and rotor B) Grab the hub, and lift up on it.. It should have a tiny tiny amount of movement, but should not make any type of clicking noises.

As for the clunk, I'm not sure, but something you could check would be your U-joints and tranny mount..

JT
Old 07-03-2008, 10:08 AM
agarr19
3rd Gear Member

im having the same problem with both of my windows its a obnoxious loud screach and i think its starting to scratch my tints so i just rip of the panels and grease it up?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:14 AM
racemyski
1st Gear Member

3.) Use spray silicone lube on the rubber surrounding the window.

Note: DO NOT spray the window itself. Roll it down, and then spray the black rubber/plastic wherever you find it. Wipe up any excess.

This solution only works if the noise happens as the window is sealing itself with the weatherstripping. My fix may not be applicable to your problem. Mine was screeching at the top of being rolled up.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:46 PM
V8SilverGT

Thanks guys, can anyone elaborate on what would/could happen if the lsd is going bad, what are possible signs?