4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Two problems at once....UPDATE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Two problems at once....

well i couldn't use both gaskets because the one built in wouldnt even really match up well on the 5th cylinder, so i just used the ford one. As far as vacuum leak i thought about it too but i've looked around over and over and couldn't find anything. My main concern was how did i get coolant on the plugs of cylinders 6,7 and a little on 8 even though the coolant passages are in the front and the back of the manifold??
Old 07-13-2008, 10:51 AM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

That would be likely due to a blown head gasket(s). coolant on the plugs is not a good sign, even when I cracked my intake manifold I didn't get a drop of coolant on any plug itself, but the plug well on cylinder 5 was filled with antifreeze if I recall, once cleaned and the plug removed, the spark plugs only show of wear was a slightly lean condition, which is common on stock 4.6's.

Only way besides the blown headgasket is to have your coolant passage cracked inside the manifold thus allowing coolant to be mixed with the air/fuel. You would of likely found coolant on all of the plugs though, I cant imagine it only effecting your right head if it were the case. If I were you i would run the car for 50+ miles and pull the plugs to see if theres still sign of coolant on them, which Im sure there will be.

The intake manifold I installed had a built in gasket and lined up just fine, especially on cylinder 5, idk why you ran into problems with it.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

i wonder if i can juet put RTV in the grooves where the built in gasket was and just use that...??? Anyone done that?
Old 07-13-2008, 10:53 AM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Well, If it was me, I would probably pull the intake back off - ditch the gasket and just go with some RTV. Its possible that the intake you bought is warped slightly, causing the gasket to not make a good seal.

As for the coolant on the plugs, it could have been from your previous intake. Did it crack on you? Mine cracked at the t-stat housing and would leak coolant back onto the plugs.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

Well i thought about it too but then if i had coolant in the combustion chamber wouldn't i have lots of white smoke from the exhaust?? I had no smoke issues what so ever. By the way it wasnt cylinder 5 that had coolant. It was 6, 7, and 8. Cylinder 5 was very dry and clean. The built in gasket itself worked fine on the head but the original ford gasket on cyl 5 is a bit wider in the corner of the port. I dunno im really confused right now...its freaking leaking coolant everywhere because its not sealed at all with the ford gasket and ican't get it to run for $hit. Im about ready to give up on this thing

ORIGINAL: ackuric

That would be likely due to a blown head gasket(s). coolant on the plugs is not a good sign, even when I cracked my intake manifold I didn't get a drop of coolant on any plug itself, but the plug well on cylinder 5 was filled with antifreeze if I recall, once cleaned and the plug removed, the spark plugs only show of wear was a slightly lean condition, which is common on stock 4.6's.

Only way besides the blown headgasket is to have your coolant passage cracked inside the manifold thus allowing coolant to be mixed with the air/fuel. You would of likely found coolant on all of the plugs though, I cant imagine it only effecting your right head if it were the case. If I were you i would run the car for 50+ miles and pull the plugs to see if theres still sign of coolant on them, which Im sure there will be.

The intake manifold I installed had a built in gasket and lined up just fine, especially on cylinder 5, idk why you ran into problems with it.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

You know im pretty sure thats what happened to me too. I had a crack the the tstat housing and i never bothered to look at the plugs. So i'll pull it back off and used rtv....well i guess i could actually reuse the built in gaskets since they looked good and if i did indeed get coolant from the last intake....hmm what to do. So you think RTV would really work?

ORIGINAL: black35th

Well, If it was me, I would probably pull the intake back off - ditch the gasket and just go with some RTV. Its possible that the intake you bought is warped slightly, causing the gasket to not make a good seal.

As for the coolant on the plugs, it could have been from your previous intake. Did it crack on you? Mine cracked at the t-stat housing and would leak coolant back onto the plugs.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:12 AM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Like I said man, thats what happened to me and a few other people on here. The crack at the housing allows coolant to basically leak back into the plug holes.

RTV will work fine, get the high temp. stuff. Just spread it around everywhere the gasket would be, let it dry/set up for about 5-10 minutes and then you should be fine.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

ok thanks black 35th, i got the manifold off again and im about to clean off the little bit of coolang on a couple of the plugs. The other thing was do i leave the plugs at .032 or do i gap them at .035 for FI? What really happens when u change the gapping??
Old 07-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

Ok everything seems to be good now except one little thing. I have a slight ticking sound coming from the engine, its not really loud at all but u can kinda hear it. Im guesing its the plugs not being gapped correctly? Does anyone know whether i should make the gap larger or smaller in order to get rid of the ticking sound? Thanks
Old 07-14-2008, 07:11 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

What do you have them gapped at now? I would go ahead and set them to .035 .......

Quick Reply: Two problems at once....UPDATE!!!