4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

T/B and Plenum Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 04:27 PM
01KBGT

Default RE: T/B and Plenum Problems

The hanging idle should go away in a couple of days once the computer learns your new setup.

As for the low voltage on the TPS, try this:

Sitting on top of your throttle body there is a sensor that relays to the computer the exact opening position of the throttle butterfly. In other words, how far do you have your foot into the accelerator pedal. In technical terms the TPS is a low-voltage potentiometer. Based on the position of the throttle and other factors given to it, the computer will decide how rich the fuel mixture will be at any given open throttle point.Why mess with the TPS?Well, based on the information given above it is easy to understand how important this sensor is to your Mustang's performance. It is important that the computer gives the correct air and fuel mixture at the right time. If your TPS is off (or bad), the information (voltage) that the computer gets will be inaccurate. The tuning procedures in this article are very simple and the potential for the TPS to be off is significant, so why not tune your car the right way and get the most out of it.

Details:Tuning the TPS When you tune up your Mustang (wires, plugs, timing, etc.), the checking/adjustment (if needed) of the TPS should always be included. You will need a Phillips screwdriver, a pin, and a voltmeter that can read low voltages accurately.

Here is the procedure:
1) Loosen the two screws holding on the TPS, (The screws can be very stubborn, so make sure you have a good quality screw driver that fits snug and has a long handle for lots of torque, or you might strip the heads) just enough to able to swivel the TPS with force.
2) Pierce the "GREEN" wire with the pin and hook the positive (+) lead from the voltmeter to it.
3) Ground the negative (-) lead from the voltmeter. Use a good ground, like the engine or other grounded metal source.
4) Turn your ignition key to the run position, but do not start the vehicle
5) Rotate the TPS until you achieve .98 to .99 Volts (For stock or slightly modified engines).
6) Tighten the screws on the TPS and recheck.TroubleshootingIf the maximum or minimum voltage you can obtain is close to the above recommended voltage setting (.98-.99), but the TPS just won't turn enough to get it right, you will have to modify the TPS.

If you get a very low voltage reading, make sure you have an accurate voltmeter and your connections are solid, if so, you need to replace your TPS. If you have no voltage, you have a bad connection or a bad voltmeter. Rarely, if never, will a TPS be in such bad shape, especially if your car still runs good.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:03 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Did you disconnect your battery during the install? If not then try to do it now, just diconnect it for about 10 minutes. By doing this the computer re-learns the fuel trim and idle for your new application.

Whenever doing work to your intake, always disconnect the battery so the computer can start fresh and learn the new mod.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:46 PM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

yea i tired that black 35th, during instal and after.
01kbgt if dallas mustang doesn't fix it tom morning ill probably give something like that a try, esp since a new tps is 80 bucks.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:54 AM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

01kb you were absolutely right on the process of determining if the tps is bad (the old one read 0.0 voltage) finally after checking everything else the shop ended up putting a new one on there and BAM f&84ing thing worked
Old 07-21-2008, 11:13 AM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

so what do you think of the TB/plenum setup now?

like it any better, now that its working ok?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

My TPS broke on me while I was trying to get it off so I bought a new one anyways but still have the same problem. WDed the f**k out of the IAC. Same problem. Any suggestions?

John
Old 07-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

SxyNerd, can you tell me more about the Decay rate? whats that all about?
Old 07-21-2008, 08:02 PM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

moko- its ok, i was expecting a little more actually, considering price. i think i could tell more from pulleys and cai. i can tell a tiny difference in power, and definitely a difference in throttle response. its ok i guess