4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Traction Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:34 PM
CWP1979

Default Traction Control Problem

I own a '99 Cobra but thought this might not be a Cobra-specific issue. My traction control goes off and on by itself. I might start the car and the Traction Control Off light is on (as well as the ABS light) and after driving 10 mins it will go off. Sometimes the light comes on after driving a bit. Pushing the button does nothing.

I need to fix this issue before I sell the car. Anybody else ever had a similar issue? Couldn't find anything on the forum search.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2008, 09:53 PM
2kSilverGT

Default RE: Traction Control Problem

sounds like a problem related with the ABS..I had this same problem on my car, the front ABS sensor was bad replaced it and the traction control doesn't act up anymore...just a thought
Old 08-01-2008, 09:59 PM
cjb7804
1st Gear Member

Might be a vehicle speed sensor. Your traction control and ABS run off your VSS to determine if your wheels are slipping or spinning. Should be able to run your codes and see if it pulls anything up.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:02 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

I could be alot of things. Wheel speed sensors, Abs module etc. They only way your gonna pinpiont it is to have it scaned for codes when the light is on.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:41 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The VSS signal is notusedby the ABS or traction control systems, only the four wheel speed sensors, from the shop manual:[/align]
[/align]The four wheel anti-lock brake system (4WABS) with traction control consists of the following components:
[*]anti-lock brake control module (2C346)[*]front anti-lock brake sensor (2C204)/(2C205)[*]front anti-lock brake sensor indicator (2C182)[*]hydraulic control unit (2C286)[*]powertrain control module (12A650)[*]rear anti-lock brake sensor (2C190)/(2C216)[*]rear anti-lock brake sensor indicator (2C189)[*]traction control switch[*]yellow anti-lock brake system (ABS) warning indicator
[/ul]
CWP1979, you stated that the t/c LED might be on when you start the car, which indicatesthe t/c is off. Unlesst/c has been set to off in a tune the LEDshould always be off on startup. [/align][/align]Since the ABS isn't throwing a code I would suspect the t/c switch first; it is a normally open momentary contact push button switch, does it seem to function normally (push in and out properly) or does it seem mushy or sticky?[/align][/align]
Old 08-02-2008, 12:18 AM
cjb7804
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

The VSS signal is notusedby the ABS or traction control systems, only the four wheel speed sensors, from the shop manual:[/align]
[/align]The four wheel anti-lock brake system (4WABS) with traction control consists of the following components:[*]anti-lock brake control module (2C346)[*]front anti-lock brake sensor (2C204)/(2C205)[*]front anti-lock brake sensor indicator (2C182)[*]hydraulic control unit (2C286)[*]powertrain control module (12A650)[*]rear anti-lock brake sensor (2C190)/(2C216)[*]rear anti-lock brake sensor indicator (2C189)[*]traction control switch[*]yellow anti-lock brake system (ABS) warning indicator
[ul][/ul]
CWP1979, you stated that the t/c LED might be on when you start the car, which indicatesthe t/c is off. Unlesst/c has been set to off in a tune the LEDshould always be off on startup. [/align][/align]Since the ABS isn't throwing a code I would suspect the t/c switch first; it is a normally open momentary contact push button switch, does it seem to function normally (push in and out properly) or does it seem mushy or sticky?[/align][/align]
My bad. I was actually referring to the wheel speed sensors. I guess I thought that the VSS was refering to wheel speed sensors.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:33 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The VSS is mounted on the transmission rear extension housing,and driven by the transmission output shaft. In addition to providing a vehicle speed related signal to the instrument cluster its output is also used by the PCM as part of engine control calculations in closed loop mode.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:58 AM
CWP1979

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

[/align]The four wheel anti-lock brake system (4WABS) with traction control consists of the following components:[*]anti-lock brake control module (2C346)[*]front anti-lock brake sensor (2C204)/(2C205)[*]front anti-lock brake sensor indicator (2C182)[*]hydraulic control unit (2C286)[*]powertrain control module (12A650)[*]rear anti-lock brake sensor (2C190)/(2C216)[*]rear anti-lock brake sensor indicator (2C189)[*]traction control switch[*]yellow anti-lock brake system (ABS) warning indicator
[ul][/ul]
The ABS light is on when the T/C Off light is lit. The button is not working even when the light is not lit. Prior to this past week the T/C worked properly and was on all the time unless the button was pressed. The button doesn't seem to press very smoothly - maybe it is just the switch? If it were the T/C switch, would the ABS light still come on when the T/C turned off?

Thanks everybody for your input!
Old 10-13-2008, 11:35 AM
ashtondiff
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CWP1979
The ABS light is on when the T/C Off light is lit. The button is not working even when the light is not lit. Prior to this past week the T/C worked properly and was on all the time unless the button was pressed. The button doesn't seem to press very smoothly - maybe it is just the switch? If it were the T/C switch, would the ABS light still come on when the T/C turned off?

Thanks everybody for your input!
so does anyone have an answer to this question? it seems like there are a lot of people having the same issue, im reading through all these posts and its frustrating because most of them, as soon as they start getting juicy the thread stops ARRGHH!

sorry guys, my little ABS and trac light problem is pi$$ing me the f off. and i DO NOT want to take it to the stealership!
Old 10-13-2008, 02:03 PM
cobra dreamer
2nd Gear Member

i had the same problem and it was one of the abs lines that rbbed on my wheel and wore right threw the casing on the line and the wires inside so check all your abs lines to make shure that they are intact