4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Convertible leaking?

Old 08-07-2008, 07:52 AM
99vertGT

Default Convertible leaking?

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing a wet rear passenger floor? Could the drains be clogged for the top? The rear passenger seat is dry as is the underneath the top - no holes in the top. The only other issue i'm experiencing that could be related is after it rains with the car sitting, when i take the first turn there is a loud water sloshing from one side to the other sound, after driving for a couple minutes, it goes away - any help is greatly appreciated
Old 08-07-2008, 10:20 AM
True Blue Racing
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Convertible leaking?

I had this happen to me. You need a new top to fix the problem. What happens is the water leaks onto the canvas behind the rear seat(the spot wear the top folds into). The water pools back there, when you take that first turn, the water runs off the canvas and ends up under the rear seat. From there is seeps out to the carpet and that why is it wet. If you want to see this happening take a hose and let it run where the top meets the car. Now what I did before i had mine fixed was roll up a towel and put it back there so it soaked up the water while it rained, then i would take the towel out dry it and put it back in.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:45 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99vertGT

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing a wet rear passenger floor? Could the drains be clogged for the top? The rear passenger seat is dry as is the underneath the top - no holes in the top. The only other issue i'm experiencing that could be related is after it rains with the car sitting, when i take the first turn there is a loud water sloshing from one side to the other sound, after driving for a couple minutes, it goes away - any help is greatly appreciated
Been there and done that.
The drains are clogged.

Remove the rear seat cushion (bottom) and look into the fenders.
The drain holes are a small slit right in FRONT of the rear tires.
They clog with leaves and water backs up into the frame of the car.

In my case the water would collect behind the passenger seat in the floorpan.
It turned out that Ford didn't use enough seam sealer along the welds that connect the frame to the floorpan and when water would run thtough the frame (normal operation) it would never make it to the back of the car where the drains are but would run right down into the floor pan causing wet carpet.
Parking on a hill during rain aggravated this.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Jarhead2269

I havnt noticed water on my floor, but I ave noticed that when it rains I can see water running down the inside in the very corners of the back. Like where the top meets the car. Is this normal? Can it be fixed without a new top?
Old 08-08-2008, 06:27 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jarhead2269

I havnt noticed water on my floor, but I ave noticed that when it rains I can see water running down the inside in the very corners of the back. Like where the top meets the car. Is this normal? Can it be fixed without a new top?
If you mean where the black anodized trim is located around the top, yet it is normal.
That's the reason for the drain holes.

The design is really a crappy one, but the idea is that any water running down there will find it's way to the drains.

Open the top 3.4 the way and look down inside the fender wells, by the hydraulic tubes for the top, and you should be able to see the drains, I think.

Now if you are getting water in the back in the trough where the top lives when it's down (IOW you can see the water in their on top of the vinyl piece) then you have a leaking rear window seal, most likely.

That is different.