4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

My car will not start sometimes after being driven.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Gene4.6L

Default RE: My car will not start sometimes after being driven.

Did yours start sometimes and other times just crank over? Mine will start after it sits for a while.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:09 PM
02GTSteve
1st Gear Member

Mine would start for 1-2 seconds and then just shut off. Then I crank it again and it starts up. Like I said, the CEL just came on and the car is starting to miss a little at idle.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Riceinator
3rd Gear Member

to OP,

I also have a verysimilar problem. Late in the season last year, the car was leaking coolant from the heater core. So I topped it up with mostly water and havent flushed the system. My car will drive fine while it is cold, but after it warms up there is a slight miss at idle. But once i turn it off and start it back up a little later, it will barely idle and is almost undriveable. BUT, if i let it sit for like an hour, the car is driveable again, but hte miss at idle is still noticeable. Our problems are very similar. I dont know if we have the same problem or not, because mine is a 5.0 not a 4.6. I have been dealing with this problem for a while, and it only gets worse. I cant figure it out for the life of me.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Gene4.6L

I can crank and crank and crank and it won't start and If I go back later then it will start.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Gene4.6L

Is that your Black T-top. That is nice..
Old 08-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Riceinator
3rd Gear Member

yea, its mine. Thanks man, yours looks sick too. Good Luck figuring out the problem. Could you let me know if you find the cause?
Old 08-10-2008, 08:42 PM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

my 04 has a hard time starting when i run hard on the highways or something it will need to turna nd it will sound like its not going to start but it does after a while. i hope it doesnt get worse
Old 08-10-2008, 10:17 PM
96 vert

Dont assume because the fuel pump is coming on there is enough pressure to start it. You need to find out what you are losing spark or fuel.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:36 AM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 96 vert

Dont assume because the fuel pump is coming on there is enough pressure to start it. You need to find out what you are losing spark or fuel.
Maybe on a return style setup, but a returnless setup he would have ALOT more problems than just not having the car start if that were the case.

We've been trying to give you advice on what to do, but we havent heard back on what youve tried and what works/didnt work.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Gene4.6L

I am trying just about everything that has been posted. I am now on my way to buy some seafoam to see if that fixes the problem.
I have had a tune up. Codes have been checked and nothing has worked yet. I installed a new fuel pump and filter. and had the pressure checked. Everything was said to be fine. I don't know if the spark is gone or not but I will check that as well, but what is the best way to do that on these 4.6L's. I am use to the 302s and not the coil packs. Any suggestions? What have you heard on the Seafoam?

Quick Reply: My car will not start sometimes after being driven.