4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Q's before I purchase first real upgrade (gears)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 02:47 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Default Q's before I purchase first real upgrade (gears)

Ok so my credit card billing cycle just ended and I wanna use it to make my first real upgrade purchase so that I can take maximum advantage of my 6 week grace period before I pay my balance off in full.

Been thinking about either gears/tuner, subframe connectors, or a new exhaust. I really want all but I think I am gonna have to go with the gears and a tuner.

I've been wanting to buy the FRPP 3.73 gear & SCT Xcal3 tuner set from AM for quite some time now and I think I will. I was just wondering if you guys recommend me to get the bearing install kit as well?

It would be great if I don't have to pay so much just to recalibrate my speedo for now but I don't want to use that speedcal thing. Are places that tune cars able to recalibrate my speedometer? I called the one and only shop thats closest around here which I plan to get my stuff installed from and they don't have a tuner like that for mustangs. I want this package because they give me free tunes for life so as I progessively add on stuff, I can get them to send me a new tune.

It's gonna cost like $500+ so I was just wondering if anyone knows any last minute things I should know about? When they sent me new tunes, is it like accumulative? like I can send them my old one and they send me a new one for my newly added stuff?

If I run 91 octane (I live in CA) apart from recalibrating my speedometer, will the tuner yield me more HP at all? Without running rich or anything of course because it is a daily driver even though I don't work and I can walk to school I do use the car on a daily basis so I don't want some deteriorating race tune.

Thanks,
Brandon

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 08-14-2008, 02:58 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

**** I just read AM's "free tunes for life" policy and it says they will only send you new tunes when you car needs to be tuned for new parts purchases only from them. That makes the free-tunes-for-life pointless for me then
Old 08-14-2008, 09:51 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

well the first thing you should know about is go with 4.10's lol. But if your getting the xcal 3 you dont need a speedo recalibrator you can do it with the tuner. And if your looking for more tunes go with brenspeed there tunes are awesome. I'm gonna order one for my full exhaust i just put in.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:37 AM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

how many miles are on your car? i just put gears in my car and i have it tuned also... when they opened up my rearend they said that my bearings were show, so it was a good thing i bought some, my car has 66k miles on it.. i went with 4.10's, and wouldn't have done it any other way, when you get your tuner, a 91 octane tune makes a huge difference, i got mine from AM and i picked up several mpg, and hp.

when i got my gears i just called them and they email you the new tune
Old 08-14-2008, 10:37 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Yeah I know the tuner itself will do all the recalibration but I was wondering if there is anyway I can hold back on a tuner for now and find another way of recalibrating my speedometer after I install new gears. I don't want to use that speed cal thing.

Doesn't the SCt have end user adjustability? So don't places like brenspeed just send you a tune with options preset which I can just do mytself?

Brandon
Old 08-14-2008, 10:39 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Oh thanks for the reply steve, I didn't see it before I typed the one above. Well my car has 27,520 miles on it so far. So I don't think I need new bearings, unless you still suggest me to get them?

I really want to use the sniper instead as everyone says it's so much better but I don't know how to fumble with that piece of crap. Did you get the gear/tuner packge from AM? I read their policy and they said the free-tunes-for-life thing only applies if you need a new tune for new parts that you bought ONLY from them I think...
Old 08-14-2008, 02:28 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

No the tune changes other stuff not just the user adjustable. And besides going to a shop, using the speedcal thing or just changing it with a tuner there are no other ways that i know of that you could change it cause your year car does have the mechanical speedo like mine. All i have to do is change the little pastic speedo and im good to go its only 12 bucks.