4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tune needed!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 11:40 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

I had heard that MIL eliminators became illegal recently an all of the companies that were making the plug-in ones had to discontinue production. but IDK if that is true....

anyways Fu*K the EPA!
Old 09-01-2008, 08:27 AM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by defconfire
I had heard that MIL eliminators became illegal recently an all of the companies that were making the plug-in ones had to discontinue production. but IDK if that is true....

anyways Fu*K the EPA!
They have always been illegal for street use, period. But recently the EPA has started going after the companies that make them. I found this:

SEMA eNews Update: May 16, 2007
EPA TARGETS ILLEGAL MIL ELIMINATOR DEVICES

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is investigating sales of MIL eliminator devices which can turn off the check engine light when O2 sensor readings are not operating properly. Both the EPA and the California Air Resources Board (CARB) have been more aggressive in recent years in removing such products from the marketplace since they can easily be used on the highway but are usually advertised for off-road use or racing-use only. These items are commonly referred to as defeat devices since they can render inoperative a portion of the emissions control system. Manufacturers, distributors and retailers of MIL eliminator devices could face charges of violating the Clean Air Act. The agency has authority to seize and destroy these products and issue fines.

Subsection (B) of 42 USC Sec. 7522 (1990 Clean Air Act Amendments) makes it illegal for any person to manufacture or sell, or offer to sell, or install, any part or component intended for use with, or as part of, any motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, where a principal effect of the part or component is to bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this subchapter, and where the person knows or should know that such part or component is being offered for sale or installed for such use or put to such use;

So yeah, they are pretty much illegal to make or sell them. Get em while you can! (Or just build you own)
Old 09-01-2008, 09:03 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

WOW this thread is full of some dumb *** newb advice. The rear o2 sensors have nothing to do at all with how the engine runs. They are only there to tell if the cats are working. The computer takes the reading from the rear o2s and compares it to the front o2s to see if the cats are working. If the reading is the same (like when you remove the cats) the computer triggers the MIL to let you know that your cats are not working.

If you are actually running rich and get a wideband to tell you that then more then likely you have an exhaust leak before the front o2. That will let in o2 and the o2 sensor will see it and think the engine is lean causeing the computer to dump fuel.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Durr727
6th Gear Member

Also if you want a tune, give Brenspeed a call, they're one of the best.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:38 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

Ok oxford first off there is no need to insult anyone...If you take a stock Mustang and place high flow cats or eliminate the cats altogether you WILL get a code and the car WILL run rich. The sensors I was talking about will NOT make the car run rich so yes in that respect you are correct (even tho that was not what I was trying to say)...the engine will start running rich because the computer is going to respond to the sensors which are indicating an increase in the airflow (or possibly the lack of restriction the cats would have caused if they were there) and the computer will command more fuel. This will then cause a rich code in addition to whatever other code the sensors are indicating from the increased flow/lack of restriction. MIL eliminators will prevent the sensors from noticing the increased flow/lack of restriction which will prevent the sensors from informing the computer and the computer will as a result not command more fuel. After erasing the code, that problem will be fixed. I know this because the same thing happened when I installed high flow cats. I cleared the code numerous times but it still popped up. Once I installed the MIL eliminators and cleared the code, it never came back. Even after I went with an O/R midpipe. And yes an exhaust leak will cause the same problem. However, I believe a leak will cause a lean condition as opposed to a rich condition. I could be wrong on that (but it does not make me a dumbass or a newb). It would be effing dumb to go out and buy a wideband for $300 just to tell you that yes the car is running rich and then you'd still have to spend money to fix the problem when you could just buy MIL eliminators for $50 dollars which will actually solve the problem. And even if there is a chance that they don't fix it its still better to waste 50 then to waste 300...