4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Saleen Series IV / 4r70w trans. help

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 03:56 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

Yo Buck, how much boost will you be pushing? And I know Summit racing sells the Transgo shift kit (already bought one for my car) and they sell the valve body. The valve body would be an easier swap because they are already modified with the firmer shifts. You see, when you buy a shift kit or transpak, you take your stock valve body out of the transmission and modify it with the kit and then reinstall it. Some kits have extra items to further beef up the tranny also. The aftermarket valvebody already has the modifications to it so you just replace your stock one with it. If you're gonna do the work then I would say to get the valvebody. It'll cost about $200+ and you might wanna spend extra for some fresh trans fluid and a new filter since you're gonna have to drain it all anyway. If you're good with rebuilding trannys, then get the kit which will be about $100 cheaper and do it yourself.

A word to the wise, I recommend also getting an external transmission oil cooler and running it in with the stock lines. Heat will freakin wipe that tranny out so try to get it to run cooler. Hey Yellow, what hp do you think he will actually have...??
Old 09-02-2008, 08:01 PM
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DeathRattle
Yo Buck, how much boost will you be pushing? And I know Summit racing sells the Transgo shift kit (already bought one for my car) and they sell the valve body. The valve body would be an easier swap because they are already modified with the firmer shifts. You see, when you buy a shift kit or transpak, you take your stock valve body out of the transmission and modify it with the kit and then reinstall it. Some kits have extra items to further beef up the tranny also. The aftermarket valvebody already has the modifications to it so you just replace your stock one with it. If you're gonna do the work then I would say to get the valvebody. It'll cost about $200+ and you might wanna spend extra for some fresh trans fluid and a new filter since you're gonna have to drain it all anyway. If you're good with rebuilding trannys, then get the kit which will be about $100 cheaper and do it yourself.

A word to the wise, I recommend also getting an external transmission oil cooler and running it in with the stock lines. Heat will freakin wipe that tranny out so try to get it to run cooler. Hey Yellow, what hp do you think he will actually have...??
Thanks I bought A transgo Stage III shift kit today for 200 bucks. I already have a derale transmission cooler on it with a fan and it works great (bit pricey but hey). I actually hope yellow's right with his comment due to the fact that I want to be a fast reliable street car and not a 700 hp race car. But I truly think that it will do more than 300 hp because I just bought off my buddy who had it in his saleen in it dynoed at 441 (i was there). He has a manual and your looking at an 18 percent power loss due to the automatic. I'm gonna use the same mods he had on his which pretty much included the chicane intercooler (proven to add 40 rwhp), more than likely an LFP heat exchanger, the 2.80 pulley he was running, and Scott's Idler pulley (which he was not running). Here's some info on saleen blowers and upgrading them and links to Scott's Idler pulley which is awesome (and a pretty knowledgeable guy). http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=96508
Old 09-02-2008, 08:11 PM
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Yellow Fever
Sorry, but after I read your HP #'s I, LMAO .You are sadly mistaken my friend .
you may be right but I strongly believe that it will pull within 50 hp. When I dynoed my car in February, it ran 245 hp / 290 lbs. of torque. That was without my exhaust which includes offroad long tube headers, offroad mid pipe, and mufflers. I also added those msd coils after the dyno. I don't know how much hp i added but the exhaust system alone had to at least add 15-25, and the coil packs probably added 3-5. that would put me at about 280. I used to have a 4.10 gear in there too but it wasted too much gas. I seriously doubt that i would barely reach 300 if i'm already in the ballpark of about 250>, especially with the additional blower mods. I would take lt1's with 6 speeds at the track (with the 4.10 gear) and i've got an automatic convertible...
Old 09-02-2008, 08:19 PM
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DeathRattle

to answer your boost question, I asked my friend and he said his dyno charts read about 12-13 pounds at about a 11.9 A/F and he reassures me that it's the exact same setup that i'll be using.