4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

one more gear question before buying

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:49 PM
aamievaMKR
1st Gear Member

yea if u have a auto, the tune will help the transmission kicks harder, just got mune tuned its well worth the money. bc we cant control our gears b4 the tune my trans was shifting me early as hell now im reaching 6,000 rpms
Old 09-09-2008, 01:48 AM
mr_mustang23
2nd Gear Member

ok so the only way to get gears installed on a 99 auto gt properly is with a custom tuner??? thats not good because i caant let the dealership find out about that stuff. is there a way to hide a handheld tuners improvements or can they see it immediately when they go into the cars computer. this really bites i thot i just needed a speed recalibrator. what can i do!!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 01:51 AM
mr_mustang23
2nd Gear Member

could the place i install it at use one of thier tuners and just fix the speedo? is that a possibility?
Old 09-09-2008, 07:17 AM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

if your so worried about the warranty, you are better off not doing anything until it runs out... how would the dealership find out you had a custom tune in it?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:22 PM
mr_mustang23
2nd Gear Member

well i wasnt sure if they couuld look into my cars computer and be like "hey you have an aftermarket tuner in there" and void everything
Old 09-10-2008, 12:31 AM
mr_mustang23
2nd Gear Member

would i be fine with using a preloaded tune that comes from american muscle or would you strongly recommend i get it tuned by a professional?
Old 09-10-2008, 10:14 AM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

i have mine tuned through AM, everything i have read says don't get AM tune, because they suck, but i got mine anyway from them because of their great customer service and their free tunes for life, and i am very pleased with the tune...
Old 09-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Miceleb
2nd Gear Member

If you use a xcal2 or xcal 3 it flashes the "thumbprint" of the tuner into your computer the dealership can tell if the computer has been flashed or not even after it is returned to stock. Our mechanic was a ford dealership mechanic and he was telling me about this the other day. I flashed my company F-250 diesel with my livewire from my mustang with one of the preloaded tunes and holy chit it made a difference but besides that he told me all that good information. So be careful you might want to look at the fine print in your warranty to see what is acceptable for modifications. It may say no performance modifications or something along those lines.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:23 PM
mr_mustang23
2nd Gear Member

i just read over the warranty today and the only thing it says is one sentence saying "if an aftermarket part affects the covered parts they will not cover the part. but i mean. coudnt they pretty much make any excuse after i mod the computer? i mean u figured they could bull**** anything if they saw modifications to the computer cuz its like a big thing. i dunno could someone enlighten me. waht could go wrong with tuning the car?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Miceleb
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_mustang23
i just read over the warranty today and the only thing it says is one sentence saying "if an aftermarket part affects the covered parts they will not cover the part. but i mean. coudnt they pretty much make any excuse after i mod the computer? i mean u figured they could bull**** anything if they saw modifications to the computer cuz its like a big thing. i dunno could someone enlighten me. waht could go wrong with tuning the car?
Say your ECU takes a dump and they hook it up and they see it has been flashed before...that gives them every reason to not warranty it. Or what if you are having some issues with your COP's (coil on plugs) and they hook it up and see that you flashed it. There any many things they can hang their hat on if they want to. You better just ride the warranty out. How much did you pay for the warranty?

Quick Reply: one more gear question before buying