4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Is it normal for 3.73's to whine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 06:26 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Why do you have to drive so far for gears? You live in Cali isn't there a speed shop on every corner?
Old 09-18-2008, 06:44 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

they should sound just like the stock gears
Old 09-18-2008, 06:57 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

My 3.73's don't whine ...
Old 09-18-2008, 08:01 PM
yelw02GT
3rd Gear Member

my 373s didnt whine, my 4.30s got a little whine to them, sometimes you get it, sometimes you dont, depends on the gear set, doesnt nessisarily mean somthing is wrong, just sometimes they whine at a certain speed or rpm, if somthing is really wrong you will be able to pick up on it pretty quick
Old 09-18-2008, 08:08 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

I really think that some gears are inclined to whine. I never had any problems with FRPP gears but my Richmond gears whine.

EDIT: 2000 Post
Old 09-18-2008, 08:12 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
Why do you have to drive so far for gears? You live in Cali isn't there a speed shop on every corner?
Yeah but I want to take it to a reliable place because I've heard that rear-end gears are not something I wanna let any random person install...

This guy who is heavily recommended by everyone also charges the cheapest I've heard, $150. Its only far away thats all
Old 09-18-2008, 08:20 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

the 3.73 whining problem is actually on old topic, truth to the subject is partial as there is no proof but frpp uses a company called motive to produce their gear packages and quite a few people swore the gears were installed correctly and still whine, how ever it is also true an incorrect installation will cause gear whine, my bet is with the incorrect installation as if it were due to motives manufacturing ford probly would of stopped using them and secondly some one would of came up with proof by now
Old 09-19-2008, 04:53 AM
03FstStngKB
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by yelw02GT
my 373s didnt whine, my 4.30s got a little whine to them, sometimes you get it, sometimes you dont, depends on the gear set, doesnt nessisarily mean somthing is wrong, just sometimes they whine at a certain speed or rpm, if somthing is really wrong you will be able to pick up on it pretty quick
To the OP I was pretty much told the samething by the shop who installed my gears but he told me that when you start stepping up to a ratio like a 4.30...your pinion is a real small gear when compared to the higher ratios and sometimes those gears will tend to whine. Now I don't know what the hell that should matter but the shop told me after my install they test drove it and it had a very and I mean very faint whine. I didn't have my exhaust set up on my car yet, so after all that was put on I rarely can hear it anymore. The shop did tell me that it might go away but I don't put alot of miles on my car(not dd) and from time to time I can still hear it...in my case on the decel at about 30 mph...not any noise below 30 or above 30. So it's nothing to do with any rpm constant in that you would hear it in any gear at the same rpm...only at 30 mph which is better to have that way vs hearing it at different speeds at the same rpm. But like I said before it's not that bad for me anyway. They told me if it got louder they would go back in and check the numbers on the adjustments to make sure they were done right.

Probably will get flamed for saying this but I have seen countless threads on this subject. You constantly hear people saying that gear whine is not normal. Well I am getting information from a shop who changes gears on race cars for the race track for 30 years and they give me this information. Doesn't mean their right but **** I would think since this shop that I went to has one mechanic meaning many for each major brand of cars out there...that they should know there ****...but then again it doesn't prove anything. All I got to say is that my gears have a faint whine to them, but have had no problems...and I got them to write on my labor receipt that they would replace the WHOLE, yes I said whole rearend if they *** up in 2 years time...so if that ain't a backing up to there **** talking or the lack of...I don't know what is?

Last edited by 03FstStngKB; 09-19-2008 at 05:07 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:24 AM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
Yeah but I want to take it to a reliable place because I've heard that rear-end gears are not something I wanna let any random person install...

This guy who is heavily recommended by everyone also charges the cheapest I've heard, $150. Its only far away thats all
It sucks that he's far because you should also break in the gears before you drive the 75 miles back home unless you do it there.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:18 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Yeah i'm gonna have to figure something out. thanks everyone for the input

Quick Reply: Is it normal for 3.73's to whine?