4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I'm painting my car this weekend, I need to know the grit of the sandpaper to use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 01:24 AM
t_b9151700
1st Gear Member

Default I'm painting my car this weekend, I need to know the grit of the sandpaper to use?

Just my front bumper, back bumper, side skirts, the 2 front fenders, and part of my rear quarter panels.

I plan on taking everything off and then put them back onto the car after i'm done painting them. It saves me time rather then masking everything up which I suck at LOL

I'm probably gonna scrub the parts and then sand them down. Spray some primer and then sand lightly again (to fill in any cracks). Should I reapply a second coat of primer? Or go ahead and apply my first coat of paint? I'll probably add a clear coat on it too after im done with all the painting.

Anyone know the grit to first sand off the old paint and then what grit should I use to sand the primer with? I have an eletric sander and I was checking out lowes and they only had 220 grit as the highest. Would this be any good or do I need something stronger? I also have Autozone, Murrays Auto Parts, Harbor Freight Tools, and Advance Auto Parts in my area if anyone knows for sure one of those stores might carry higher grit sandpaper.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Young_Buck
2nd Gear Member

I dont wanna rain on your parade pally but if you need to be askin' what sand paper to start out with maybe you shouldnt be paintin' at all.

Will the paint be color matched?

Have you ever painted anything else?

That being said if your heart is set on it then rock on man, just search some stuff up on the net youll find something.

Autozone has up to 2000 grit to.

GOODLUCK!!
Old 10-29-2008, 09:04 AM
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

Ok. Your post scares me. It appears that you are not very knowlegable in painting at all..

"I'll probably add a clear coat on it too after im done with all the painting."

Umm are you using a basecoat? Or enamel? Or a single stage paint? I have a feeling you are going to distroy your car. You can't just "paint a little bit of the rear quarters" without blending paint..ect..

1- do not paint your car.

2- to answer your question - you need several different types of paper to make it look right.. I never sand with anything LESS then 800 grit to rough stuff up. Never use a powersander either. You need to block sand.

Basically do not paint your own car, seriously.. If you are going to please make sure that you have help from someone who knows what they are doing.

What type of gun are you shooting with?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:41 AM
jjandascog
1st Gear Member

Not to sound like an A$$, by the questions that you are asking do not paint your car, it will look ricer when you are done.

That being said, if you really want to paint your car, go to a junk yard, get a few fenders, maybe a hood and practice on that. Also, as much of the car as you want to paint, go ahead and paint the entire car.

Also get some quotes from some paint shops, I have not painted a car in a few years, but I used to paint them (and the body work) so I have probably painted over 500 cars, either whole paint jobs or parts. I know that a good primer and paint gun will set you back 400-600 bucks, you will need about 100 dollars work of body files, sanding blocks, and other misc tools. On materials you will spend about 150-200 on good sandpaper (3M) for wet sanding, and/or using a DA sander (Dual Action), filters, and primer. Good quality paint (PPG) will set you back around 600 bucks and the associated thinner, reducer, cleaner, flex additive, etc another 100-150. Then throw in another 100 for sh$t that you will need.

If you still want to paint, remember the prep work makes the paint job, spraying paint is not al that difficult but it takes practice and patients for get the prep work correct.

Not trying to tell you not to paint the car ,but if you want it to look good do not make it your first car that you paint.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

lmao you can't just spray part of a panel, you have to blend the whole thing. do yourself a favor and take it to a body shop, trust me.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Fobra
Banned

you can use 600, no lower.... I have had better results with using an 800 and no primer... just use adhesion promoter and spray it. if you must prime it, then make sure u use sealer... but based on your question I agree that you should not attempt to do this
Old 10-30-2008, 12:56 PM
karrarararararar
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000GTFOOL
Ok. Your post scares me. It appears that you are not very knowlegable in painting at all..

"I'll probably add a clear coat on it too after im done with all the painting."

Umm are you using a basecoat? Or enamel? Or a single stage paint? I have a feeling you are going to distroy your car. You can't just "paint a little bit of the rear quarters" without blending paint..ect..

1- do not paint your car.

2- to answer your question - you need several different types of paper to make it look right.. I never sand with anything LESS then 800 grit to rough stuff up. Never use a powersander either. You need to block sand.

Basically do not paint your own car, seriously.. If you are going to please make sure that you have help from someone who knows what they are doing.

What type of gun are you shooting with?
+100 there's a MSgt here who just painted his toyota spyder (i hate those cars) and i tried to tell him he needed to bock sand but he didn't listen and now whenever i see his car i laugh cause of all the high/low spots i can see.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:19 PM
t_b9151700
1st Gear Member

Okay so I took your guys word for it.

I talked to my neighbors friend and he says he would paint it for me for 100 bucks. He already works in a body shop and does body work on my neighbors car alot.

He told me to buy all the things that I need and he would do it all for me.

My paint code is ZR (crystal white) and I was researching it online. I was checking out this list of all the paint codes ford made for the 2000 year and my paint code wasnt listed. The only colors listed were for white was "oxford white" and my paint code wasnt listed. I asked my neighbors friend again and he told me that "ultra white" is the same thing as "crystal white" and that autozone should have that color. Does anyone know if "ultra white" is the same thing as crystal white?

Last edited by t_b9151700; 10-31-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:49 AM
mustangman281
Banned

If you got an oreilys near you go to them for paint. They will have the correct paint.

I'm glad you decided to let someone else paint it for you since you really sounded like you have no idea what your doing.

My 01 cobra bumper is drying right now at my buddys house (he has a bigger garage and better compressor). I prepped and painted it today, it will sit there till tuesday and I'll go back to wet sand and install in on Tuesday. I can't wait.

Automotive painting should not be done by an amateur
Old 11-01-2008, 01:05 AM
ThomasB311

I work at a paint and body shop and we use sherwin williams and tasco i believe.