4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

99 GT turning into a Cobra clone..

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 02:44 AM
pcs
4th Gear Member

if you go with an 03 cobra bumper with a gt hood, the bumper will rub the hood, they are different length , slightly. youll also have to slightly mod the hole under the hood where the bumper mounts up, you can also just get an 03-04 cobra hood. they look nice but weigh a lot for being made of plastic. also, dont forget that the 03 cobra bumper has a small lip under the bumper. if you plan on using the cobra foglights, youll need the pig tails for the fog lights to wire them up. also the fog light bezel and the fog light holder, a small piece of plastic the bolts the light inside the bezel.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:55 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Really I think if you are going to make it a clone make it a 03 Cobra clone... being that is the motor it has! If you wanted to make it a 99 clone you will have to change the rear tail lights! The 99/01 Cobras had orange turn signals on the bottom half of the tail light... there is a write up on it on Stang World... it involves cutting and splicing of wires, not TERRIBLY difficult, but FAR from cheap! The tail lights are hard to come by and will cost you hundreds! I was in the process of trying to get the lights off eBay when I decided NOT to clone my car... it was half done when I bought it. Being you already have 03 cobra seats you can't clone it to a 99- they didnt have different seats... the 01 did, but different than the 03/04 if i am not mistaken! The 99/01 Cobras DO have round fog lights in the bumper. Im assuming you have a 03 Cobra computer.. so you should have the cluster, or your MPH will probably not read right... might want to check that out.. plus the 03 cobra clusters have the boost guage in them. To be a full 99 clone you need only the front bumper, drivers air bag, tail lights, side skirts, cluster and the emblems... the wheels and the hood are aftermarket so yer good. To do an 03 clone you need the front/back bumper, side skirts, Drivers air bag, cluster, emblems, fugly wing, etc.

Personally I would do the 03 clone IF I were to fully clone it... myself I am taking the different parts from Mustangs I like, sort of a GT, Bullitt, 99/03 Cobra Mustang. but I will have NO badges on mine! all except for a GT emblem where the pony in front goes and an MGW GT license plate frame!
Old 10-30-2008, 02:58 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pcs
if you plan on using the cobra foglights, youll need the pig tails for the fog lights to wire them up. also the fog light bezel and the fog light holder, a small piece of plastic the bolts the light inside the bezel.
Same with the 99/01!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:52 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

i never have problems with these swaps unless your badging your car as a cobra
Old 10-30-2008, 08:44 AM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

don't forget cobra brakes
Old 10-30-2008, 09:35 AM
JTanew
1st Gear Member

I personally don care dude i gave my 99 cobra the terminator treatment and it is awesome i love it...but i wouldn't be ashamed to say i had a GT that could spank a cobra it does show pride in your stang. wether it is a saleen, roush, shelby or any other type of mustang you own it and your car has to reflect you and if you feel like a terminator your a terminator. good luck on the transfer just post some work pics and the car i wanna see it!
Old 10-30-2008, 06:21 PM
brokenarrow184

Im definitely not looking to pass it off as a Cobra so I dont need everything to be exact, I just want it to look a little better...

so i think I am going to go with the Terminator front and rear bumper and that is all (fog lights will be a bitch but oh well). I might change out the wing in the future but maybe not. I wont have any badges at all on it to keep people guessing.. But I might throw a Cobra in the front grill since it is Cobra powered.

I have Cobra brakes in the front and I think its the factory GT brakes in the back. I think the gauge cluster is still the GT set-up because there is no boost gauge (I have a boost gauge on the pillar).
Old 10-30-2008, 06:52 PM
blackGTcp
4th Gear Member

Sounds like a sweet car you got. If you dont mind me asking, how much did you get it for with mods like that?
Personally I think you should go the V6 route. A little different than what everyone else goes for. Of course doing that means you should sell your current setup cheap
Old 10-30-2008, 07:25 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

i vote for the 0/04 cobra front bumper, rocker skirts, wing and a shaved rear bumper!

mach with cobra side skirts

Old 10-30-2008, 07:40 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mylongvictor
Cobra.... Fobra.... Its your car, you make it what you want and call it want you want! Don't let ANYONE tell you different......

That is unless you put a rear spoiler on there that is supposed to be on the back of a airplane! lol j/k... You can do that to if you want! I wont bash you!
but i will lol

+1 on no cobra badges, the shaved look looks good.

Quick Reply: 99 GT turning into a Cobra clone..