4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HOW TO: INTERCEPTOR Motor Swap Into 99-04 GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 05:26 PM
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

Everything I have read, Including speaking with a ford certified Mechanic is that the ONLY difference to take into account regarding the 99-04 Interceptor motors is if the Heads are PI or Not. He claims that ALL 4.6L put in Vic's (interceptors especially) from 2002-2004 are the exact same HP #'s as the GT motors. The internals are the same, the heads are the same. The only difference is the WAY COOL POL48 sticker on the front cover.

Anyway, i am not concerned I feel confident that this engine will serve me well. I merely wrote this up incase anyone else was thinking of doing the same swap. Mustang 4.6L engines are hard to come by and are EXPENSIVE. IF this is the same motor (which it is) it is a budget alternative.

Makes me sorry I even attempted to share this info with the mustang community. No wonder OX left this forum. Well I really hope that someone takes the time to read this and make a decision as to weither or not this is an alternative for them.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:31 PM
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

Also check those HP #'s... That HP is dependent on TUNE and Exhaust/ intake.

All those designs are different on the mustang. I bet I will pick up that extra 10hp I am "missing" with the alternately designed mustang intake/aircleaner/TB and exhaust setup...

You are looking at the HP #'s for the car... Not the engine. Small changes can account for HP #'s....
Old 11-02-2008, 06:55 PM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

alright then. I still don't understand how $12-1500 for a mustang engine is all that expensive especially for a direct swap out. Think of all the added expense you have encountered already. The initial $600 for your engine or whatever you piad for it is adding up to much more because of all those accessories that needed to be purchased like that flywheel and whatever else you have come accross not to mention the extra time in pulling the motor and selling the shell. I would imagine the cams are a diff grind because of the power curve. However with a descent tune, hopefully you are satisfied with your swap. It's an experience anyways.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:22 PM
ashtondiff
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000GTFOOL
Makes me sorry I even attempted to share this info with the mustang community. No wonder OX left this forum. Well I really hope that someone takes the time to read this and make a decision as to weither or not this is an alternative for them.
dont worry about ruffcat, just ignore him, he most definitely does not represent all of us others. i am very interested in what you are doing. luckily i dont have to think about any motor swaps but love reading and learning about what others are doing when that time comes.

i would also love to see your pictures thus far. and keep posting your progress. HOW TOs rock!
Old 11-02-2008, 08:27 PM
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

I have $600 invested. $1200 for the car, sold it the day after I got it home for $650. Spent $50 on the flywheel.

I don't understand why you are so against this swap. I mean it's my money, (which I saved $800 over buying a HIGH mile GT motor) and it's my car. There is nothing you have said that has any actual bearing on this swap. All the parts I needed were already on my mustang, so actually I will be selling the ViC parts I don't need, and then sell my PI heads, and probably make my $ back off the swap..

The bottom line is the motor is the same, I am getting my car back on the road,
Old 11-02-2008, 09:03 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

good on you for getting you car back on the road, but the motors arent the same, both are 4.6 sohc 2v, but romeo and windsor, not the same. how about the 2 motors are similar with interchangeable parts.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:23 PM
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pcs
good on you for getting you car back on the road, but the motors arent the same, both are 4.6 sohc 2v, but romeo and windsor, not the same. how about the 2 motors are similar with interchangeable parts.
Look guys... Romeo And Windsor blocks are interchangeable, VERY minor differences. Both motors (Romeo VS Windsor) produce the same HP. Lets drop the "engine" debate. I actually own both motors right now and can attest to the differences. Just for Sh^ts and Giggles I'll list the differences I know..... Then we can move on.

- Romeo engines use 6 bolt cranks, Windsor 8 bolt cranks
- Romeo /windsor blocks have different mounting points for the timing chain guides..
- There is a large HOLE (under the intake) in the rear of the Romeo block that isn't there on the Windsor
- I think the front cover has a different amount of bolts.
- Slight oilpan difference.. (but this may be due to this Romeo being out of a Vic..)
- Pullies slightly different.

But from all the info the WWW and Ford has to offer they are the same as far as HP/Torque/ect.

Romeo engines were placed in LATE 2000 year model and Newer Mustangs
Windsor Engines were placed in 99-half year 2000 mustangs..

From what I can tell it's minor casting differences due to the different facilities they are manufactured in...
Old 11-02-2008, 09:28 PM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000GTFOOL
I have $600 invested. $1200 for the car, sold it the day after I got it home for $650. Spent $50 on the flywheel.

I don't understand why you are so against this swap. I mean it's my money, (which I saved $800 over buying a HIGH mile GT motor) and it's my car. There is nothing you have said that has any actual bearing on this swap. All the parts I needed were already on my mustang, so actually I will be selling the ViC parts I don't need, and then sell my PI heads, and probably make my $ back off the swap..

The bottom line is the motor is the same, I am getting my car back on the road,
You titled the thread Interceptor. Some guys would see this and just want to do that because of the title. Now, you did a great job on the How-to in describing the job, but you never said that the motors were different. Don't keep saying that it's the same! It's a very close match, but not the same. Published articles by Multi million dollar companies don't lie. well, for the most part..lol
You may even have trouble getting a tune for your car via internet. You might have to get a custom dyno tune for your specific application if the cams are different because of the rpm/tq curves. I am curious to know how you make out. And it's great to hear your gonna be back on the road. You cannot take all criticism or for that matter accurate contributions so personally. Take some pics, update your How-to. Let everyone know how you make out and what troubles you've encountered and start and entirely new thread once you went through everything so it's not all cluttered with bullsh*t. Don't go wrenching on your engine all pissed off because you can get hurt that way and kill your mojo. As said before. Everything is a learning curve and allows you to become more experienced.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:33 PM
2000GTFOOL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RuffCat
You titled the thread Interceptor. Some guys would see this and just want to do that because of the title. Now, you did a great job on the How-to in describing the job, but you never said that the motors were different. Don't keep saying that it's the same! It's a very close match, but not the same. Published articles by Multi million dollar companies don't lie. well, for the most part..lol
You may even have trouble getting a tune for your car via internet. You might have to get a custom dyno tune for your specific application if the cams are different because of the rpm/tq curves. I am curious to know how you make out. And it's great to hear your gonna be back on the road. You cannot take all criticism or for that matter accurate contributions so personally. Take some pics, update your How-to. Let everyone know how you make out and what troubles you've encountered and start and entirely new thread once you went through everything so it's not all cluttered with bullsh*t. Don't go wrenching on your engine all pissed off because you can get hurt that way and kill your mojo. As said before. Everything is a learning curve and allows you to become more experienced.
I will update soon. I need to organize the photos in order of sequence...
Old 11-03-2008, 03:37 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

i never said they werent interchangeable, actually i said they have interchangeable parts but they arent the same, you just listed the differences.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: INTERCEPTOR Motor Swap Into 99-04 GT