4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Insurance repair question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Default Insurance repair question

Ok so I bought my 2003 Automatic GT on 9/15/08. And already last week some lady in an 07 eclipse ran into my right rear. Heres pics of damage.

As you can see the bumper needs replaced and the exhaust pipe was pushed back far enough for it to come out of its rubber harness......thus its being replaced. The chosen estimate comes out to $851. The lady had Farm Bureau insurance and I have already contacted them and the check is being sent out tomorrow.

Heres my situation.....on all three estimates the price they are charging for JUST the original RIGHT cat back only is a whopping 250-270 dollars. So I stopped and thought.....I could just buy a set of MAC catbacks for 300-350 dollars and pay the difference and get one hell of a discount on some decent pipes.

So my question is.....will the check they send me be in my name, or the body shop's name?
If the check is in the body shop's name how can I negotiate the process of me buying my own cat backs and covering the difference between the OEM catbacks and aftermarket ones? As opposed to them buying the OEM parts themself? Am I breaking any laws or putting any liability on the insurance company or body shop?

Also.....If I don't increase diameter of my pipes how much of a sound boost can I expect? What is the main thing that increases exhaust sound.....muffler chambering or pipe diameter/width?
Old 11-04-2008, 05:28 PM
_Slowbra_
2nd Gear Member

the check is for the work that YOU want done.so just get what you want,then pay the difference.thats how its always worked for the people i know.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:05 PM
essexdan

As a claimant, in most states the check will be issued in YOUR NAME ONLY. If you went through your own company the check would be made out to you and the shop (or you and the bank) if there is a lien on the car. For convenience purposes some carriers will omit the name of the lienholder or shop if the check is for a very small amount, say less than $1000. If you have no lien and you went through your own company the check would be made out in your name only. This is because the bank is essentially a co-owner and requires themselves to be names as a co-insured as long as you have a loan with them. Homeowners insurance works the same way. As a claimant against another person their company does not involve your lienholder unless the car is a total loss and they need the title.

You're not breaking any laws by doing whatever you want with the money. You're not under any obligation to even fix the car. You could spend the money on a TV if you want. And actually the other person's insurer would actually prefer that since they won't have to worry about supplemental payments for additional damages.

On a side note, based on the photos you posted I'd have written that bumper for a repair all day long unless it is torn or warped. $851 sounds a little light for a replacement including that pipe. If they do replace it be sure to demand OEM on this car. The aftermarket may fit fine but it won't say "Mustang" across the back since that's a trademark. The company is obligated to put you back in the same position you were in before the accident, which includes a cover with a name tag in it.