4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

3.1" s/c pulley on vortech w/o aftercooler??

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 11:56 PM
DeViouS
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 3.1" s/c pulley on vortech w/o aftercooler??

sorry yea i got off the boards when u posted that. 162 for an aftercooler? now that is a steel.

Anyone else heard of guys running 10psi w/o an aftercooler. do u guys also think if i dump more fuel on the fire than needed to would that work.

I was also thinking if i run 8psi in 100 degree heat and run 10 psi in 80 degree heat wouldnt that be the kinda the same. my point being i shouldnt run full 10 psi boost in real hot weather. that would work right? then when i race @ night then i could run @ full boost.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:31 AM
David_K
5th Gear Member

yeah man well you win some you lose some
Old 06-01-2005, 02:46 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DVS99GT

Im buying a vortech and i just bought a 3.1" pulley to get 10psi instead of 8psi. however, yesterday i was talking to this guy who has a KB @9psi innercooled and he told me that i cant run anymore than 8psi non-innercooled b/c too much hot air could screw up my engine and screw up timing etc. if i inject enough fuel could i still run the 3.1" 10psi pulley or do i have to be innercooled to use that pulley?[&:]

Thanks guys
I hate it when know-it-alls run around telling people BS info...

Whoever that guy was needs some education on forced induction... You can run 10 psi non-intercooled all day as long as you get a proper dyno tune. Hot air doesnt screw up the engine, detonation does. Hot air only increases the chances for detonation so of course there is a limit to how much you can go non-intercooled. 10psi is certianly within the limits. There are plenty of people running 12-13 psi without the aid of charge cooling (granted they have top end tuning and little room for error). With forced induction the tune is of upmost importance. Your Vortech unit is more effiecient and makes more power than his positive displacment blower so you can get away with higher boost levels. Roots/Twin Screws run very hot.
Run 10psi, get a tune, and hand that guys a$$ to him .

Another option you have is to run the standard 8psi, and pick up an AFM Power Pipe. The AFM Power Pipe will free up the inlet of the Vortech allowing it to be more efficient with the 8psi pulley. You would run at least 10 psi while using the 8psi pulley. Its like 2 free #'s of boost without the heat. It will actually help to cool the S/C down. AFM has proof of 2 or more extra PSI with at least 40RWHP.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:49 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

sorry yea i got off the boards when u posted that. 162 for an aftercooler? now that is a steel.

Anyone else heard of guys running 10psi w/o an aftercooler. do u guys also think if i dump more fuel on the fire than needed to would that work.

I was also thinking if i run 8psi in 100 degree heat and run 10 psi in 80 degree heat wouldnt that be the kinda the same. my point being i shouldnt run full 10 psi boost in real hot weather. that would work right? then when i race @ night then i could run @ full boost.
Once again, the tune is everything in this case. If your concerned about hot weather, get a conservative tune. If you talk to any reputable dyno shop, they will know exactly what your looking for and what to do about it.
Stay withing the engines limits. Proper ammount of fuel + good tuning = teh win.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:41 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Just a quick question, do they make Boost Controllers for Superchargers??

I know a good way to help in limiting the boost, if you wanted to have an interchangeable boost setting, would be to use a Blow Off Valve w/ an 10lb spring, so that anything over 10lb, would vent to atmosphere. You'd need a vacuum source that could be adjusted, kinda like in turbo applications.... Don't know how well that would work..

Not sure if anyone's ever tried it.... Any thoughts??

JT
95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 12.7 @ 103mph (R.I.P.)
00 Mustang GT - Too Slow to Race, so far....
Old 06-01-2005, 05:43 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

But as for the 10lb Pulley, we used to use Alcohol, about 1 Gallon per 10.. Easy way to help w/ Detonation, especially for folks who can't get 93 Octane or better in their area..

Not a perfect way, but it definitely helps in the hot weather too..

I still say intercool it..

JT
95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 12.7 @ 103mph (R.I.P.)
00 Mustang GT - Too Slow to Race, so far....
Old 06-01-2005, 09:31 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: 94Cbra

Im buying a vortech and i just bought a 3.1" pulley to get 10psi instead of 8psi. however, yesterday i was talking to this guy who has a KB @9psi innercooled and he told me that i cant run anymore than 8psi non-innercooled b/c too much hot air could screw up my engine and screw up timing etc. if i inject enough fuel could i still run the 3.1" 10psi pulley or do i have to be innercooled to use that pulley?[&:]

Thanks guys
I hate it when know-it-alls run around telling people BS info...

Whoever that guy was needs some education on forced induction... You can run 10 psi non-intercooled all day as long as you get a proper dyno tune. Hot air doesnt screw up the engine, detonation does. Hot air only increases the chances for detonation so of course there is a limit to how much you can go non-intercooled. 10psi is certianly within the limits. There are plenty of people running 12-13 psi without the aid of charge cooling (granted they have top end tuning and little room for error). With forced induction the tune is of upmost importance. Your Vortech unit is more effiecient and makes more power than his positive displacment blower so you can get away with higher boost levels. Roots/Twin Screws run very hot.
Run 10psi, get a tune, and hand that guys a$$ to him .

Another option you have is to run the standard 8psi, and pick up an AFM Power Pipe. The AFM Power Pipe will free up the inlet of the Vortech allowing it to be more efficient with the 8psi pulley. You would run at least 10 psi while using the 8psi pulley. Its like 2 free #'s of boost without the heat. It will actually help to cool the S/C down. AFM has proof of 2 or more extra PSI with at least 40RWHP.
yeah, that's what i got with mine. the guy that had it before me was running 11psi with it.