4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

engine noise update

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 08:34 PM
mikeb0914

Default engine noise update

So i went to the dealership and had some people look at my engine noise. they said with out a doubt its the pullies, i replaced the idle/tension pulley and i still have that sound. i dont have any tools to move the belt and check if the sound stays with no belt, but know a few people that might. the guys who work on my car said when they took the belt off and ran it that the sound was still there. its just the sound is so pinpointed on the pulleys. it just sounds like there makin alot of noise and theres that rattling sound that speeds up as the throttle is opened. the rattling sound just sounds like its talkin back after a rev up, like on the way down. you hear it with the hood shut and out of the car, i hate to say it but the noise might be on the bottom end, what are the possibilities of whats wrong on the bottom end? Please help
Old 06-04-2005, 01:31 AM
tomabram
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: engine noise update

ORIGINAL: mikeb0914

So i went to the dealership and had some people look at my engine noise. they said with out a doubt its the pullies, i replaced the idle/tension pulley and i still have that sound. i dont have any tools to move the belt and check if the sound stays with no belt, but know a few people that might. the guys who work on my car said when they took the belt off and ran it that the sound was still there. its just the sound is so pinpointed on the pulleys. it just sounds like there makin alot of noise and theres that rattling sound that speeds up as the throttle is opened. the rattling sound just sounds like its talkin back after a rev up, like on the way down. you hear it with the hood shut and out of the car, i hate to say it but the noise might be on the bottom end, what are the possibilities of whats wrong on the bottom end? Please help
All you need is a socket and socket wrench to remove the belt. Put in on the tensioner and turn it counter clockwise. It will lift off the belt so you can remove it.
Try this first.