4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How to drill and tap into the manifold

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 01:31 AM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

Default How to drill and tap into the manifold

Hello all. Tomorrow I am going to drill and tap into my pi manifold for the coolant sensor, and could really use any tips any of you may have. I've never tapped a hole, but I actually bought the right machine drilling bit, so I'm going to try it.

I will be doing it with the manifold INSTALLED, so I'm also trying to figure out a way to catch the shavings before the drop into the manifold. Could anyone help me with suggestions on what techniques I should use in drilling? Just use a drill and do it slowly applying steady pressure? Is that all there is to it?

You guys rock. THanks!!
Old 06-07-2005, 04:22 AM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Default RE: How to drill and tap into the manifold

Um, take it out, drill it, tap it, and re-install?
Old 06-07-2005, 09:24 AM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Are you doin that for the 2nd sensor on your car?

A lot of guys just tee the stock location to accept both sensors. To do it on the car will be very tough. You are going to get shavings in there no matter how careful you are.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:14 PM
devinsteen
4th Gear Member

Dude, just extend the wires and put it on the drain plug on the block. THat's what I did, and it works fine....no holes You have to jack the car up to get to the plug. Just get some cheap electrical wire and some black electrical tape and extend those wires.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

My whole body is aching, and my mind is swimming with happiness. I spend the entire day on this project, and this is how it went: I read here: http://www.unitedmajority.com/module...viewtopic&t=23

that the aluminum crossover was REMOVABLE. So I spend a while trying to remove the six little bolts that hold it to the manifold, and found that one was unreachable because the block was in the way. SO! Instead of removing the entire manifold out, which entails removing the fuel rail, throttle body, etc., I just unbolted the whole thing and LIFTED IT UP sufficiently to reach that damn bolt. I did, removed the crossover, and began to tap the damn thing. I quickly found that the NTP tap I had couldn't be adapted to a standard drill, and there was really nothing I could do without an actual drill machine. So I took it to a machine shop, and they did it for 5 bucks (especially because I had the NTP tap (see the last pic in the link). Then I put it back on, and it turned out AMAZING.

As for the bloke talking about putting the sensor on the block, I know what you mean, but that drain plug IS NOT ACCESSIBLE without unbolting the whole motor form the motor mounts and hoisting the engine up. You can't access it from below--the front end axle, headers, and chassis all are in your way. If you did it from below, you're a freaking magician.

All in all, it turned out fantastic. If anyone has any questions, let me know! Thanks to everyone in here: You guys ROCK!

Gaspi
Old 06-08-2005, 05:46 AM
devinsteen
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gaspi101

As for the bloke talking about putting the sensor on the block, I know what you mean, but that drain plug IS NOT ACCESSIBLE without unbolting the whole motor form the motor mounts and hoisting the engine up. You can't access it from below--the front end axle, headers, and chassis all are in your way. If you did it from below, you're a freaking magician.

Gaspi
LOL...that drain plug is accessible man. I did it myself in the garage. YOu have to jack it up on the driver's side and get under there, but it's not hard to do at all. I'm not sure what you are talking about.....maybe a different plug???[&:]
Old 06-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

I'm talking about THIS drain plug.

http://www.bossracing.net/Tech%20Art...nsor%20big.jpg

See the motor mounting on the right of the relocated sensor? Which one were you talking about? Thanks!