4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Afehler

Default Fuel problem

Ok guys... I'ma need the pros to figure this one out. I have an on going year long problem that has me doing nothing but scratching my head and debating lighting this car on fire. I have a 1998 Gt and I'm having what I believe is a fuel problem. Basically I can get the car started, it takes a few tries, but it will start and idle. Now if I hit the gas it will sputter out and die, however if I feather the gas and press on the gas slowly the RPM's will climb and I can put it in gear and go. The car runs very sluggish and I must keep the RPMs high to keep it running. Now the car will only start up and drive if I have MORE than a half tank of gas, anything less it will not start and thats where I get really confused.

So far, I have replaced the Fuel Filter, the fuel pump, the MAF sensor, the Fuel inertia switch in the trunk, and the fuel pump relay. And there have been no changes. Also I bought a fuel pressure regulator (thats what ima replace next) from Ford but it was no where on my vehicle. The service tech at Ford printed out a diagram that showed the Pressure regulator on the right side (If your facing the car like you have the hood popped) fuel rail closest to the driver. Now that piece is NOT on my car. The Ford service tech looked at me like I was crazy and could not give me any other location as to where it would be. Now from what I can see it looks like the fuel pressure regulator is built into the rail on the left side closest to the passenger. If thats true then I guess maybe I need to replace the fuel rails if the FPR is attached to it. Anyone have any info on that?

Im not sure if the FPR is even my problem I just keep changing things until I get it narrowed down and I'm out of ideas. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated... Cmon guys, lets get my baby back on the road!!! It has a sweet new red paint job... It's the nicest broken down vehicle you'll ever see lol.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:15 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

invest in a fuel pressure guage and first see if thats the problem. sounds like you are just throwing parts at it. that can get very expensive. i hate to point it out to you but paying for diagnosis at a quality shop will always save you money in the long run compared to just replacing parts till you find the right one.