4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cobra/Cobra R/Baer/Roush-Alcon - What brakes do I get??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:35 PM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

I dont think ive been on them hard enough to do that, i actually think it was one of those wheel cleaner b.s. sprays you put on there when i was washing the car. but even then it shouldnt do that! since ive got a new spiffy paint job, its soap and water only now haha

and wow, thats alot of stuff... (mostly cause i have no idea what all those abvreviations are for.. but i'll take 2!! lol)
I'll go on a saturday, just to drop it off for the week. Probably 2 weeks from saturday, once i get my refund imma shoot Gonzalo an email for some quotes.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:57 PM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by thunderhorse
could you put down that link to the Cobra R Brembos for $1100? thanks
Here ya go:
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....095.95~~~~~~~F
It's a lot better deal than the $1300-1400 I normally see. I don't know if there's free shipping or not, but even with adding shipping, it's still the best deal I've come across.

Originally Posted by MAD SVT
I dont think ive been on them hard enough to do that, i actually think it was one of those wheel cleaner b.s. sprays you put on there when i was washing the car. but even then it shouldnt do that! since ive got a new spiffy paint job, its soap and water only now haha

and wow, thats alot of stuff... (mostly cause i have no idea what all those abvreviations are for.. but i'll take 2!! lol)
I'll go on a saturday, just to drop it off for the week. Probably 2 weeks from saturday, once i get my refund imma shoot Gonzalo an email for some quotes.
It might be those wheel cleaners. They probably aren't designed for paint haha. Yeah, I only use car wash and water. I went to a Meguiar's class down here in Irvine and they taught me awesome car cleaning techniques, maybe you wanna check those out. I think it's every other Saturday. Just go on the Meguiar's forum and add yourself to the list for one of the days. (If you're even interested.) You're lucky that you just get to drop your car off for a week. Mine's my DD so I can't do that .
SFC = subframe connectors
FLCA = front lower control arm
RUCA = rear upper control arm
RLCA = rear lower control arm
CC Plates = caster/camber plates
Gonzalo just emailed me back tonight so I'm gonna get those lined up for install as soon I as I gather all the parts.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:32 AM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

You may consider just getting the parts from them, i bought the MM CC's and steeda subframe connectors from them, and they gave them to me about 10% less than i was seeing online and of course i didnt have to pay for shipping either.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:36 AM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MAD SVT
You may consider just getting the parts from them, i bought the MM CC's and steeda subframe connectors from them, and they gave them to me about 10% less than i was seeing online and of course i didnt have to pay for shipping either.
Yeah, he gave me pricing on everything already. But for the FRPP FLCAs, he would have to special order them and there's a site the sells them for $130 cheaper so I'm just gonna go with that. His prices are definitely competitive though
Old 02-11-2009, 03:58 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

i say go with the Cobras... more bang for the buck, you diont need anything more.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:21 AM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

You don't really need anything more than the Cobra/Mach/Bullitt brakes. Don't waste your money and buy something you don't need.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

well i have the roush/alcon brakes and IMO it is the best breaks i have ever had. Some can say what they want about not needing it ect.. but i will never go back to the stock ****. The cobra/mach brakes are ok, a small upgrade over the gt brakes. nothing major though.(i wouldnt spend the money on them) The only downside for the roush brakes are the 14" rotors. You will not be able to run anything smaller than a 18" rim. which, like you mentioned earlier, you have so no big lose there. other than that, you really need to ride in a car that has them to really feel the diff over stock brakes. The way i look at it, you want to make more power right? well you are going to need to be able to stop better to balance out the power you are making.
anyway, iwould go with the 4 piston brakes,either one will perform great. 6 piston will be overkill unless you are doing some serious road racing.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:46 PM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

So the OP should waste money on 14" brakes for a daily driver and have to purchase new wheels and tires to boot? Sounds silly to me. The 13" Cobras when paired with a quality brake pad is plenty for the street, will fit the stock 17" wheels, and will provide improved performance over the non-vented GT setup. Pair them up with a slotted rotor, synthetic DOT4 fluid and some cooling ducts and they will perform well for hardcore autocross and track days.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Blk N Wht GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
well i have the roush/alcon brakes and IMO it is the best breaks i have ever had. Some can say what they want about not needing it ect.. but i will never go back to the stock ****. The cobra/mach brakes are ok, a small upgrade over the gt brakes. nothing major though.(i wouldnt spend the money on them) The only downside for the roush brakes are the 14" rotors. You will not be able to run anything smaller than a 18" rim. which, like you mentioned earlier, you have so no big lose there. other than that, you really need to ride in a car that has them to really feel the diff over stock brakes. The way i look at it, you want to make more power right? well you are going to need to be able to stop better to balance out the power you are making.
anyway, iwould go with the 4 piston brakes,either one will perform great. 6 piston will be overkill unless you are doing some serious road racing.
So maybe when I'm visiting my grandparents in Prairieville, LA (near Baton Rouge) I could go for a test ride to test out those brakes and your KB?

At the moment, I'm thinking I WANT to go with the Cobra R brakes with the Brembo 4 pots and maybe get the Baer 13" rear rotor upgrade kit ($270) which will use the stock rear calipers and upgrade to 13" rotors. But that would put me at about $1370 which is close to the $1500 of the Roush/Alcon.

It will all depend on my amount of money when it's time to get them.

Originally Posted by OzzDOA
So the OP should waste money on 14" brakes for a daily driver and have to purchase new wheels and tires to boot? Sounds silly to me. The 13" Cobras when paired with a quality brake pad is plenty for the street, will fit the stock 17" wheels, and will provide improved performance over the non-vented GT setup. Pair them up with a slotted rotor, synthetic DOT4 fluid and some cooling ducts and they will perform well for hardcore autocross and track days.
He did say "You will not be able to run anything smaller than a 18" rim. which, like you mentioned earlier, you have so no big lose there." Which I do have 18" wheels so it's not a problem (other than the extra cost haha).
Old 02-11-2009, 01:20 PM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

Reading > me

Quick Reply: Cobra/Cobra R/Baer/Roush-Alcon - What brakes do I get??