4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Roots vs. Centrifugal!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 02:57 AM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

but would a centrifugal be better for a daily driver and stop and starts? since i dont always have boost in the low rpms 2000k and below?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

You will hear all sorts of thoughts about which is best. One school of thought is that centrifical supercharger are better for the track and twin-screws are better for the street. I disagree completely.

Is your car a daily driver? Do you drive it in the winter? Do you drive in snow? Will other people be driving your car?

My car is a daily driver, summer and winter, and my wife sometimes drives my car. For these reasons I chose a centrifical supercharger (ProCharger). Twin-screws provide more low end torque which I've heard can be harder on your motor. Also, the more low end torque you have the more careful you have to be accelerating. With a centrifical supercharger the car drives pretty much like a stock Mustang at low rpm. It easy for my wife to handle and its earier to drive on snow and ice but the power is still there when I want it.

I put on the ProCharger at 80,000 miles. I've driven it about 35,000 miles without any problems. Most tuners will recommend that you not exceed 370-380 rwhp for a daily driver on a stock block.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:45 AM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

a centrifugal would be best if you are ocncerned about daily driving/gas mielage, if you dont ocme into boost your car will run and drive liek a stock gt....if you want it to last, then get forged rods and supporting b.s. and then you can safely run a KB with 8-10psi intercooled would be best...
Old 03-02-2009, 11:24 AM
llamatymer
1st Gear Member

ftw this kit takes care of most of the eaton's problems. http://www.haneymotorsport.com/1999-...ntercooler.htm
Old 03-02-2009, 02:23 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

hey thanks everyone for your replies eagle 2000 what kind of tranny do you have in your car i have a stupid auto tranny wish i could replace but does anyone kno if i would have to do anything to tranny to beef her up to stand the extra power and yes when im away my mother will borrow my car and its so bad to drive in snow on the nitto 555 i dont even attempt it anymore but it is a daily driver any other time any thoughts
Old 03-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT
You will hear all sorts of thoughts about which is best. One school of thought is that centrifical supercharger are better for the track and twin-screws are better for the street. I disagree completely.

Is your car a daily driver? Do you drive it in the winter? Do you drive in snow? Will other people be driving your car?

My car is a daily driver, summer and winter, and my wife sometimes drives my car. For these reasons I chose a centrifical supercharger (ProCharger). Twin-screws provide more low end torque which I've heard can be harder on your motor. Also, the more low end torque you have the more careful you have to be accelerating. With a centrifical supercharger the car drives pretty much like a stock Mustang at low rpm. It easy for my wife to handle and its earier to drive on snow and ice but the power is still there when I want it.

I put on the ProCharger at 80,000 miles. I've driven it about 35,000 miles without any problems. Most tuners will recommend that you not exceed 370-380 rwhp for a daily driver on a stock block.

+ 1 on the Procharger. I was really thinking about going with another brand but got a buddy that has 410's and the Procharger works very well the 410's.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:20 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

1st things first, to the OP, PLEASE you punctuation! That first post is a headache.

My choice would be a centri w/ 4.10's
Old 03-03-2009, 07:04 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GrayGhost01GT
hey thanks everyone for your replies eagle 2000 what kind of tranny do you have in your car i have a stupid auto tranny wish i could replace but does anyone kno if i would have to do anything to tranny to beef her up to stand the extra power and yes when im away my mother will borrow my car and its so bad to drive in snow on the nitto 555 i dont even attempt it anymore but it is a daily driver any other time any thoughts
I have a T-45 transmission. While everyone seems to prefer manual transmissions, an automatic is actually faster. The problem with automatics is that there is a greater parasitic loss through the drive train. A stock motor with a manual transmission and the basic P-1SC should see 350 rwhp. One with an automatic transmission should get 330 rwhp. But, automatics shift faster and are more consistant.

If your transmission is in good shape it should be OK without doing anything to it. You don't need a new stall converter because you're not putting in a radical cam. You might want to put in a shift kit and have a tuner adjust your shift points but that isn't absolutely necessary.

If your mother is going to drive your car then I definitely recommend a centrifical supercharger over the twin-screw.

Good decision on not driving in snow with Nitto 555s. Summer high performance tires are the single biggest reason that Mustangs have a bad winter driving reputation. Get a set of ultra high performance all season tires like Continential's Extreme Contact. They make a world of difference.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:10 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

One other comment. It helps if you update your garage and your location. Sometimes those things change the advice people give.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:30 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

hey man thinks for all the info I think imma do a gear swap and swap the 2.73's i believe thats what we do have in our automatics right? because i dont want to go to steep of a gear and have my rpms higher on the highway or loose my top end speed, but what gears do you have in ur GT, Ill probably go ahead and put new fluid in the tranny and install a shift kit, but thanks man for ur insight great info, and year imma update my garage just havent gotten around to it

Quick Reply: Roots vs. Centrifugal!?!?