4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Swapping 4.6 liter for 5.4 liter

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:47 AM
ronbrgundy

Default Swapping 4.6 liter for 5.4 liter

I blew my motor in my 01 GT and plan to swap in a new engine.

I am thinking I will swap in a used 5.4 liter (cobra) engine. I was quoted $5,500 for the engine and trans just the parts which I think I can get a better deal than that

Has anyone else done this engine swap or does Ford racing make a crate engine I might want to consider instead? Other advice would be appreciated

I'm also interested in having a blower installed. This is kind of secondary though I'm not sure I want to do that as this car will be driven around town. If I install a blower would I be able to drive the car in bad weather i.e. rain?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:37 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

lol... where are you getting a 5.4L cobra engine... if it is indeed the Cobra R engine, which i can almost guarantee it is not, $5500 is the best price you or anyone else for that matter would ever see. the intake manifolds on cobra Rs go for $3000, and seeing as how there is no other 5.4L cobra engine, it is either that or you simplyhave your facts twisted and it is not a "Cobra engine" which is what i am banking on. Im guessing its a navi engine... which is far from the 5.4 "Cobra engine." If i were you i would just build a forged 2v with nice heads and cams then throw a blower on. You will see great numbers and yes you can drive it in the rain. Quite a few people on here run supercharged 500+whp cars as daily drivers. (i know of atleast 2)
Old 03-09-2009, 11:16 AM
xterm11
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
lol... where are you getting a 5.4L cobra engine... if it is indeed the Cobra R engine, which i can almost guarantee it is not, $5500 is the best price you or anyone else for that matter would ever see. the intake manifolds on cobra Rs go for $3000, and seeing as how there is no other 5.4L cobra engine, it is either that or you simplyhave your facts twisted and it is not a "Cobra engine" which is what i am banking on. Im guessing its a navi engine... which is far from the 5.4 "Cobra engine." If i were you i would just build a forged 2v with nice heads and cams then throw a blower on. You will see great numbers and yes you can drive it in the rain. Quite a few people on here run supercharged 500+whp cars as daily drivers. (i know of atleast 2)
Isn't the gt500 engine a 5.4L?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:29 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xterm11
Isn't the gt500 engine a 5.4L?
i was about to comeback and edit that lol but the gt500 is supercharged, if hes looking to supercharge in the future the motor he is looking at is obviously not supercharged.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:56 AM
ronbrgundy

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
Money is not really an issue but I'd like to keep it under 10 grand (otherwise making a down payment on a new car looks too promising). I am not doing the work myself so I am looking for a turnkey job. I plan on having the engine delivered to the shop and letting them take it from there.

I take it you are talking about a lincoln navigator like this:
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2001/lin...424/specs.html

If I go that route, what do I need other than the engine to get this going. I.e. do I need a new ECM, transmission or anything else. Also can you get more specific i.e. would any model years work or should I order a specific year range

Also can you give me some crate engine options that would work if there are any still being manufactured? I.e. can you give me your opinion on these Ford Racing engines:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/crateengine/main.asp

I might just give them a call (logical thing to do) but I am wondering if the M-6007-A463NA 4.6 liter 3 v would fit.

Thanks for the help it is appreciated
Old 03-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Yellow Fever
3rd Gear Member

If you live in Florida . There's probably a performance shop on every corner . Dropping in a crate engine is not as easy as it sounds . Especially if you go the Cobra engine route . Build your 2v with a new short block and a good set of heads( Not Patriot ) . Long tube headers . And with that platform you can go in many directions . Blower would be a nice addition . You can drive this car all day long in any weather . Call Lethal Performance for some help .
Old 03-09-2009, 01:16 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

The navi swap would not be a good way to go, ive conisdered it for a future project but it would cost way to much money to make as much power as you would through even a 4.6 2v. The only way i could see the navi swap being good was if u were making an ungodly amount of power, which would take much more than $10,000. I think yellow had a good suggestion with stopping by Lethal depending on where you are in FLA and talking to them about a 2v longblock they could drop in, then supercharge it, seems to be your best route, seeing as how you want a turnkey motor.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:10 PM
jlw2387
3rd Gear Member

The 5.4 isn't as good as it sounds, one of the rare cases where there is a replacement for displacement. You're better off take the extra money you would have spent on a 5.4 and put it into a 4.6.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Fobra
Banned

how exactly far away is a 03+ navi motor from a cobra motor? besides the obvious displacement... gee I dont know... a set of cams and an intake. The 5.4 4v is not that expensive anyway, esp if you factor in the ability to have a spare motor or sell it (and alot less down time). The 5.4 is better than a 4.6 imo, but other engines are much better than both. The fact is that on any of these motors (ford modulars) to make real power you have to have boost. Now alot of people say.. "well it doesn't matter then, just boost it" - thats dumb, there is no real replacement for displacement (and good flowing heads) because what will happen is, that in order to make alot of power you will have to run a **** ton of boost/race gas/meth and it wont last long or be as reliable as it otherwise could be. Now for your average joe, svt has a point, just forge the internals buy the new trick flow heads, and run about 16lbs on it and make around 550-600rwhp, with pump gas and have a highly reliable car. That will make most people happy and is the cheapest/easiest thing you could do. But if you want those big torque numbers, and a better power curve, the 5.4 will help. The thing I see is alot pf people pissing about an extra $2k or so, which is nothing in comparison to what your going to spend, so just dont be a **** and think realistically, your not going to mod any of these modulars to make 1000rwhp full time and have a reliable as stock daily driver, and get a 100k miles out of that boosted race motor... thats internet bs.