4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Are lowering springs hard to install 'right'.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 12:47 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Are lowering springs hard to install 'right'.

Thanks for the info! I will read some walkthroughs and give it a shot.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:06 PM
kubball2005
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: V8MustangPride

ORIGINAL: 01GTType

Hey Marcuslee do me a favor.. if you decide to do it look at the clock when your starting and finishing. Someones not telling the truth in here about their times..

You act like it's a real time consuming process when it really isn't. I have a floor jack and all the prober tools too. Take off the wheel, then the caliper and unbolt the rack and pinion and then the camber plate. Wow a whole 10 minute job, let the second jack down slow then the spring will decompress and pull it out, take islators off put on new and put back in, use jack to pump it back up by food while guiding strut back up. Bolt everything down and bam done. Very easy and only took me 45 minutes for the front. I don't see how people have such a hard time with things like this. I have done several of my friends cars, watched many more and read many ways of doing this. Then back is even easier, jack up from subframe connectors on both sides, then unbolt both shocks and quad shocks and the rear end will drop once you start slowly letting the rear down, then pull both springs replace them both jack back up align with shocks and the put quads back on and done. How hard can that be i mean seriously. Its not like you are putting in cams which i would take my time doing right. Plus doing the lower controls arms where easy too, the only part was breaking them loose and having smaller mufflers helped with not having to move the exhaust to get the 21mm bolt out. So 2 and ahalf hours isn't that long nore hard of time to change out springs. I have seen people take 8 hours to change springs, and i am not going to a mechanic because they get paid by the hour not by the job being done.
When you say you're letting the rear or front of the car down I assume you're supporting the car with jackstands for a moment correct? I'm going to be putting springs onto my car soon and wanted to know.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:22 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: sickspeedgt

the shop that put mine it took about 4 hours to do it. and thats with all the tools and jacks
Every 'Job' on a car has a specific amount of time alotted that are called Comped (Compensation) Hours. I forget what the name of the book is that the shops have but it specifies the number of hours an ASE tech should take to complete the job from start to finish. Usually the job takes no where near that time. I.e. Clutch replacement for a RWD car 4 hours?, FWD 8 hrs?, Radiator Hose .25hr? etc. They have these books so there is some sort of standard out there. What makes the difference in how much a shop charges and how long it actually takes is the Labor Rate per/hr, the parts, and the experience of the mech/tech doing the job.

V8MustangPride is right, there is no motivation for the mech to get it done sooner. If they have 4 hours to do something, why not take the full time and work on other cars as well? If they were to finish it in say half the time, would you want to pay for 4 hours? No.

I'm not sure if I believe 45 mintues to take apart the front end, replace the springs, and put the front end back together. But considering the springs are not attached to the strut, it's possible. I know the front brakes take me maybe 30 mintues from start to finish on most cars (except quad pistons [:'(]) and that includes a full brake front line flush/bleed. The right tools and knowledge of how everything is put together makes a HUGE difference. Hayes manuals are great for a first time attempt on any job!
Old 06-15-2005, 01:29 PM
josh_0351
3rd Gear Member

This should help: http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/...edaspring1.htm
Old 06-15-2005, 05:04 PM
mustang03GT

My friend and I both have never done spring work. I have a decent knowledge on vehicles and my friend is pretty much just learning. It took us just shy of 2hrs to get mine done. V8MustangPride did exactly what I did with mine. It is not hard or time consuming.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:51 AM
kubball2005
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang03GT

My friend and I both have never done spring work. I have a decent knowledge on vehicles and my friend is pretty much just learning. It took us just shy of 2hrs to get mine done. V8MustangPride did exactly what I did with mine. It is not hard or time consuming.
Two hours isn't bad at all. I just bought some eibach pro-kit springs for 200 shipped off corral.net, brand new, never been opened so I can't wait to get them on. Can someone clear up that jack thing though? I get you have to raise and then lower the suspension to release the spring but do you let the jackstands hold the car or do you not let it down that far?
Old 06-16-2005, 05:07 AM
V8MustangPride

What i did was jack up one side of the car with the floor jack, then places the jack stand under the car in a good spot so the car won't rock or anything. Then pull of the wheel place the floor jack under the A arm and got it snug so it won't slam down and mess anything up. After you get everything take apart then slowly, and i do mean kind of slowly let down the A arm and it won't fly off or anything (well i have never seen it fly off at me or anybody) Then pull spring slap new one in with or with out the isalators and then you will be fine. If you don't have anybody to help put the shock back in with out seeing do like i did and jack it up with your foot and line it back up by yourself. Very easy and simple. If i have to do it again i take pictures or tape everything while doing.

All i got to say is have fun, be safe, also if you have any questions you can msg me on aim at v6firebirdpride (old old name before i traded in the bird for the stang) If not on there leave me a PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:08 AM
03GTType
5th Gear Member

The jackstands need to go under the left and right side of the points for jack to go lower it down on the stands. You don't need to have the jack under there if you have those on. We actually used the jack to hold the rotors off the ground till we were able to bolt them back up.