4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New Member And What Should I Do?(96 GT)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 12:30 PM
MikeInCape
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
Did you you notice Idle Hang at all?

I just noticed you told the OP to get MSD coils. BAD IDEA. I've went though 3 msd coil packs only to go back to stock when I was all said and done. There is no HP to be gained in aftermarket coil packs. Stock is fine.
I've had mine on about 6 months on this stang and about 1 year on my stang back i nthe day. I never had issues, not that your statement isn't accurate.

I have plans on gettings the MSD iginition boxes, so figured this was a logical step.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:31 PM
mrxr250rider
3rd Gear Member

yes i do have idle hang when i rev in neutral. i have an iac and egr restrictor.
the egr spacer was put in without any modification,the iac restrictor my dad enlarged when i went to get the pi intake drilled and tapped for the coolant sensor so that probably defeated the purpose of that.

Last edited by mrxr250rider; 04-13-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:36 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

pi swap and gears!
either or both will make the smile you have now and make it bigger. The mustang i have now is my first mustang and I thought it was awesome when it was stock. I was wrong, you'll find out that the NPI mustangs are nice looking but are not very quick (compared to other mustangs). A PI swap will give you the best power besides FI or N2O of course, however, your stang comes stock with 2.73 so that doesn't help either...
Old 04-13-2009, 12:47 PM
mrxr250rider
3rd Gear Member

def the best bang for your buck pi swap and gears.

i didnt do the pi heads,just intake(npi intake cracked). id suggest doing the whole swap if your planning on keeping the same engine in the car and have the cash.

next on my mod list is probably
3:73's and a tuner.

can anyone tell me what gears i have? i hit 90mph in 3rd at 5500 just before shifting into 4th
Old 04-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MikeInCape
I've had mine on about 6 months on this stang and about 1 year on my stang back i nthe day. I never had issues, not that your statement isn't accurate.

I have plans on gettings the MSD iginition boxes, so figured this was a logical step.
The stock ignition is great till about 9k rpm and the MSD's don't even do that well. Good wires is really where the moneys at with the 4.6.
I haven't dealt with the Ignition boxes on these cars so I don't have much of an opinion. Are you going with a two step? I can't say that MSD is the worst quality ever because I run msd on my other cars but for our 4.6 application, I think the money better left spent somewhere else until you spin the hell out of it.

I got my first set of MSD coils for free and thought it was a great mod. Then I'd have an odd idle chatter with rpm lag and a faint miss if my car was just sitting at idle. Then they wouldn't keep up even with the NA NPI tune. Then they started going out one by one. Maybe you'll have better luck. I'm sticking with factory
Old 04-13-2009, 02:53 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Are you going with a two step?
No can do on 96-98
Old 04-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
No can do on 96-98
I was wondering why he was doing an MSD box. I figured he knew something I didn't. I guess that teaches me to never second guess myself,
Old 04-14-2009, 12:49 PM
MikeInCape
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
No can do on 96-98
From my research a MSD DIS-2 or DIS-4 PROGRAMMABLE DIGITAL IGNITION BOX works fine with the 4.6

MSD IGNITION MULTI- CHANNEL PROGRAMMABLE CAPACTIVE DISCHARGE IGNITION was previously used in a PANOZ Racing School car and fits the Ford Mustang with 4.6 engines and Ford Mustang Cobras (1996-2006) with late model distributorless ignition systems. Also, the MSD DIS ignition boxes feature a capacitive discharge, multiple-spark design that delivers 155 millijoules of spark energy.

Am I mislead? I don't claim to know it all... I am still learning... As we all are.

Last edited by MikeInCape; 04-14-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:50 PM
MikeInCape
2nd Gear Member

I was wondering why he was doing an MSD box. I figured he knew something I didn't. I guess that teaches me to never second guess myself,
Always second guess... Just verify, first.

I still have my stock coils... When I get everything setup, before investing any $$$ into msg ignition I will try to find some dynoresults or someone with something good to say. I've mostly been approaching this with my general knowledge of cars and not my 4.6 knowhow.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:57 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by MikeInCape
From my research a MSD DIS-2 or DIS-4 PROGRAMMABLE DIGITAL IGNITION BOX works fine with the 4.6

MSD IGNITION MULTI- CHANNEL PROGRAMMABLE CAPACTIVE DISCHARGE IGNITION was previously used in a PANOZ Racing School car and fits the Ford Mustang with 4.6 engines and Ford Mustang Cobras (1996-2006) with late model distributorless ignition systems. Also, the MSD DIS ignition boxes feature a capacitive discharge, multiple-spark design that delivers 155 millijoules of spark energy.

Am I mislead? I don't claim to know it all... I am still learning... As we all are.
Talking bout the two step http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Quick Reply: New Member And What Should I Do?(96 GT)