4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need Help! 96 GT, not running strong..

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 01:02 PM
InsidiousGT

Agree with everyone, plugs + fuel filter + o2 sensor.

I'd add the fuel pumps aren't always great at going 150k+ miles, and maybe look getting a new CAI if you suspect the one that came on it.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:19 PM
MikeInCape
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by InsidiousGT
Agree with everyone, plugs + fuel filter + o2 sensor.

I'd add the fuel pumps aren't always great at going 150k+ miles, and maybe look getting a new CAI if you suspect the one that came on it.
Me personally... Plugs, Wires (or swap wires around and see if misfire moves cylinders), Fuel Filter... Then reset your computer (either by clearing codes or unplugging that battery for about 10 mins) then run until codes pop up again (or dont). You could replace your air filter for good measure.

Good chance you need o2(s)... But no reason to replace them if they are just being thrown off by your misfire. I've talked to many auto techs and they say the o2 sensor is the most unneeded over-replaced part. They can read "bad" when things aren't right with air/fuel/spark.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:33 PM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

does a 96 gt have plugs n wires?? do yourself a favor and do all 8 spark plugs..and change out the coil pack on cylinder 8...or if the car has sparkplug wires...do em all..and then clean the MAF and A/F and fuel filter if you can..cheapest way out to is get a hi flow catted x midpipe..get some sound and just wont have to worry if a cat is clogged on your stock h pipe
Old 04-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Deputy2B4Life

thanks alot fellas.. I noticed today that the midfire seems to get worse if you let the car idle.. I didnt know that a bad maf or a cylender misfire could cause o2 codes.. So hopefully I can get around buying o2 sensors.. I bought 8 new plugs, and I will clean the filter, maf, and throttle body. It sems to be running a little rich, prolly from the misfire and maf i assume.. ill post some pics.. I washed her today, but it still is in major need of a buff job.. That will happen as soon as I get the engine problem worked out..

Old 04-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

Not to get you down but those sound similar to the codes I had when I had bad head gaskets. If basic tune up doesnt work put some head gasket fix in from autozone, if its your problem it should run better in only a few mins. (Then save up for the repair) Ill keep my fingers crossed that it just needs a tune up.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Deputy2B4Life

Originally Posted by Ehmark
Not to get you down but those sound similar to the codes I had when I had bad head gaskets. If basic tune up doesnt work put some head gasket fix in from autozone, if its your problem it should run better in only a few mins. (Then save up for the repair) Ill keep my fingers crossed that it just needs a tune up.
hmmm, i never thought of that.. It doesnt have white smoke or anti freeze in the oil.. Ill def. look into that.. Thanks man
Old 04-18-2009, 10:20 AM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

good luck with that car...its sweeet...i love those rims...again replace all that stuff and hope it works out for you....i had a 02 gt with a misfire and i replaced cyl 5 and 6 coils and did all new plugs and she ran and pulled harder than new...it did misifre worse at idle like yours is doing..so its normal for that i guess....goodluck
Old 04-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Deputy2B4Life

Thanks man.. Was your 02 running real bad or just missing? I pulled the seats out today and shampooed the carpets.. Well my wife done the carpet, but it looks alot better.. I cleaned the engine bay and pulled the rubber intake pipe off the throttle body.. It is full of build up. I could wipe black soot off from the inside.. Im gonna clean it with a tooth brush and carb cleaner tomorrow..
Old 04-19-2009, 01:03 AM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

My car wasnt putting out white smke or anything either. Your car most likely just needs a tune up if an old lady owned it last.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:48 AM
Deputy2B4Life

I sure hope so.. Ill let you guys know whats happens tonight after I tear into her.. Hopefully its positive

Quick Reply: Need Help! 96 GT, not running strong..