4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TECH: Ford Plastic Intake Lawsuit Settled!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 09:38 PM
redstanger
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: HOT!! Ford Plastic Intake Lawsuit Settled!!!

im getting my money January 25. CAMS here we come haha.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:30 PM
shawnaj7731
2nd Gear Member

Does anyone no if this would apply to the 01 mustang Bullitts..........I just bought one or do they have a different manifold.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:20 PM
lostaprop

Its a long thread so i am not going to look through it all. Here is the paper that was mailed to me. I took it to the dealer and told them the work was done over 2 years ago. Mine is a 99 so it was still within the time frame so I dont know if this will work for you or not.....

Notice Of Proposed Settlement Of Class Action And Settlement Fairness Hearing
If You Own Or Lease or Previously Owned or Leased One Of The Cars Listed Below
Equipped with a Ford 4.6-liter, 2-valve V-8 Engine
Please Read This Legal Notice Carefully, Your Legal Rights Could Be Affected
A Court has preliminarily approved a Proposed Settlement of several related class action lawsuits that may affect your rights. The
lead case is entitled Susan Chamberlan et al. v. Ford Motor Company, Case No. C 03-2628 CW, pending in the United States
District Court for the Northern District of California. The related class actions that are also a part of this Proposed Settlement
include McGettigan v. Ford Motor Co., Case No. CV-2002-3400-JRL in the Circuit Court of Mobile County, Alabama and Rhea
v. Ford Motor Co., CJ-05-55, in the District Court for Adair County, State of Oklahoma. The Court has scheduled a Fairness
Hearing or final approval of the Proposed Settlement. Benefits for Class Members will only be made if the Court grants final
a pproval.
• This Proposed Class Action Settlement involves certain Ford motor vehicles, specifically those with a 4.6L, 2-valve V-8
engine that were originally equipped with an all nylon-composite air intake manifold (“Class Vehiclesâ€):
Car Model Year
Mercury Grand Marquis 1996-2001
Lincoln Town Car 1996-2001
Ford Crown Victoria 1996-2001
Mercury Cougar; Ford Thunderbird and Mustang 1997 (build date after 6/24/97)
Ford Mustang 1998-2001 (some vehicles)
Ford Explorer 2002 (some vehicles)
• Under the Proposed Settlement, Ford is granting retroactive seven-year extended warranty coverage for fatigue cracking
of the coolant crossover passage of the all nylon-composite intake manifold in the Class Vehicles and you may be entitled
to a reimbursement if you paid to replace your manifold, as explained below.
Your rights and options, as well as the deadlines for each, are explained in this Notice.
W hy has This Notice Been Issued?
The Court ordered this Notice to be issued. You are receiving this Notice because records indicate that you may own or lease or
may have previously owned or leased one of the Class Vehicles. This Notice explains the lawsuit, the Proposed Settlement; your
legal rights; what benefits are available; and who is eligible.
W hat is this Class Action About?
The Class Vehicles were equipped with an engine that contained an air intake manifold made entirely from a nylon-composite
material. The Plaintiffs in these class action lawsuits allege that the coolant crossover passage of these intake manifolds may
crack, resulting in coolant leakage, and that Ford violated state law because it failed to disclose this fact to consumers who bought
Class Vehicles. Ford denies these allegations and any wrongdoing.
W hy is there a Proposed Settlement?
The Parties litigated these class actions vigorously, primarily through the Chamberlan action, for over two years. After extended
negotiations under the supervision of a Court-approved mediator, the Parties entered into a Proposed Settlement Agreement dated
June 16, 2005. The terms of the Proposed Settlement are briefly summarized below. The following description does not
supersede the terms of the Proposed Settlement Agreement and related documents and exhibits, which are available for public
i nspection in the office of the Clerk of the Court. The Clerk’s Office is located at 1301 Clay Street, Oakland, CA 94612.
Counsel for the Plaintiffs believes that the Proposed Settlement is a fair and reasonable resolution of these class actions. In
deciding this, they considered the substantial benefits from the Proposed Settlement for the Class Members. These benefits were
balanced against the risk that1) Plaintiffs and the Class may not win at trial, or (2) any favorable judgment could have been
reversed on appeal, or at least delayed during an appeals period expected to last several years.
W ho are Class Members?
All persons residing in the United States who currently own or lease, or previously owned or leased a 1996 through 2002 model
year Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury vehicle equipped with a 4.6-liter, 2-valve V-8 engine having an all nylon-composite air intake
manifold as original equipment. Vehicles which have already received an extended warranty pursuant to a Ford Owner
Notification Program action are not included. Specifically, Class Vehicles include those 1996-2001 Mercury Grand Marquis,
1996-2001 Ford Crown Victorias, 1996-2001 Lincoln Town Cars, 1997 Mercury Cougars and Ford Thunderbirds and Mustangs
manufactured after June 24, 1997, certain 1998-2001 Ford Mustangs, and certain 2002 Ford Explorers that were equipped with the
4 .6-liter, 2-valve V-8 engine.
The Class does not include: (1) Ford, its subsidiaries and affiliates, officers, and directors; (2) the Judge to whom this case is assigned
and any member of the judge’s immediate family; (3) persons, if any, who have suffered personal injury as a result of the failure of
an air intake manifold in a Class Vehicle; and (4) persons who have settled with and released Ford from individual claims
substantially similar to those alleged in the related class actions.
What does the Proposed Settlement Provide and How Do I Obtain Reimbursement ?
If the Proposed Settlement is approved, Class Members who currently own a Class Vehicle will receive a retroactive extension of
t he new vehicle warranty coverage on the air intake manifolds. The extended warranty will cover:
• Fatigue cracks in the all-composite air intake manifold resulting in coolant leaks at the crossover coolant passage that occur
within the first seven years after the vehicle’s warranty start date, regardless of mileage. The warranty extension will allow
vehicle owners to obtain a cost-free replacement for any intake manifold that has fatigue cracks and leaking coolant (as
described above). Replacement must be done by a Ford dealer.
• As part of the extended warranty, Ford will reimburse Class Members who have previously paid to replace a composite intake
manifold on a Class Vehicle. The replacement must have occurred within the first seven years of vehicle operation. Class
Members who wish to claim reimbursement must go to a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealer and seek reimbursement within 90
days after the Proposed Settlement becomes final. They must present their original receipt for the repair or a photocopy or
duplicate thereof. The dealer will be authorized to provide a reimbursement check to Class Members that present such a
receipt. Do not send the receipts directly to Ford, as that will only delay or potentially prevent any reimbursement claim from
being processed through the proper channels.
• If you paid to replace your intake manifold, but you do not have your original paid receipt and your vehicle was sold less than
seven years ago, you may take your vehicle to a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealer for inspection. You must bring this Notice
to the dealer within 90 days after the Proposed Settlement becomes final, signed below under penalty of perjury, stating
that you paid to replace an intake manifold that had cracked at the coolant crossover passage, resulting in a coolant
leak. The dealer also will inspect your vehicle to confirm that the original manifold was replaced. In that event, you will be
entitled to receive reimbursement of a pre-set amount for the est
Old 01-30-2006, 11:32 PM
shawnaj7731
2nd Gear Member

My mustang bullitt intake manifold seems to look all aluminum It does not look nothing like the one in the picture that was a link to the ebay link. Maybe the bullitts have totally different intakes I am new to the whole mustang world so I am still learning. If they then I should have nothing to worry about. I think.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:47 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

Can someone enlighten me as to the symptoms or characteristics of the leak?

Here's my situation:

I've had my 2000 GT for 3+weeks and I had my low coolant light go on 2 days ago. I went into the car wash and when the washer blasted the front end of my car, the light went on. I thought maybe a wire was knocked loose or the connector got really wet or something. I drove about 10 miles home and my car didn't start to overheat or anything. When it cooled down, I checked the coolant level and it was low, but not all that low. I added coolant to the cold fill line and drove it to work today. At the end of my 40 mile drive, the light came on again. I will be checking under the car again but I have not noticed any coolant leaks under the car as of yet.

Does this sound like a manifold leak? Wouldn't I see white smoke from the exhaust? Or can a coolant leak in the manifold be small enough to not show in the exhaust or affect the running of the engine but enough to slowly drain the overflow resovoir?

TIA
Old 02-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

The Bullitts have a different intake manifold so it does not apply to them.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:15 PM
2slow99
1st Gear Member

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet just got my check from ford yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $735 smackers. the best part i paid only 380 for the intake and put it in myself(with a little help from my friend ofcourse) so i pretty much paid myself $350 to install it [sm=happy046.gif] it only took a week for the check to come in. now what to buy???Hmmm can anybody say GEARS!!![sm=happybounce.gif]
Old 02-06-2006, 11:55 PM
Lonzo

I have a '99 GT. I bought it DEC 1 '05. i dont know what im looking for to tell if i qualify for this. i do know the prev owner put a cold air intake in it. anyone have a pic for exactly what im looking at? i am kinda mechanically retarded.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:08 AM
Lonzo

here are the engine bay pics of my '99 gt. does it qualify for this recall/refund??

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2253249
Old 02-07-2006, 01:50 PM
98slowmustanggt
1st Gear Member

ur intake already has the aluminum collant crossover. So no u dont get it back

Quick Reply: TECH: Ford Plastic Intake Lawsuit Settled!!!