4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Control arms

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I am with Paintball (mostly) and for sure the linky by Mustang NTriangle.

I would compliment the UPR uppers with ***THESE*** for lowers:

My slight disagreement with Paintball is really only minor and he probably just didn't elaborate as much as I will. It is true one can leave a single UCA (drivers side) and go PHB, but MUCH better to go the distance and go torque-arm and forgo the UCA's altogether. If cannot go torque-arm and PHB, these are the next best bet. The issue is just as he described, but these parts will help to a good degree on the street as well as autoX.

These parts WILL add more NVH than the poly/poly ones, but not too much. The better articulation offered by them will be of greater benefit and be a slight improvement over the others in launching.

Jazzer
Old 04-28-2009, 11:37 PM
SilverGT03
3rd Gear Member

Summit racing offers uppers and lowers for 179 buck! cant beat that!
Old 04-29-2009, 12:25 AM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
I am with Paintball (mostly) and for sure the linky by Mustang NTriangle.

I would compliment the UPR uppers with ***THESE*** for lowers:

My slight disagreement with Paintball is really only minor and he probably just didn't elaborate as much as I will. It is true one can leave a single UCA (drivers side) and go PHB, but MUCH better to go the distance and go torque-arm and forgo the UCA's altogether. If cannot go torque-arm and PHB, these are the next best bet. The issue is just as he described, but these parts will help to a good degree on the street as well as autoX.

These parts WILL add more NVH than the poly/poly ones, but not too much. The better articulation offered by them will be of greater benefit and be a slight improvement over the others in launching.

Jazzer
haha yes that's what I was getting at, though a panhard bar and torque arm together are almost $1000 (why I don't have them yet ) so I was saying just leave both stock uppers and get a panhard instead. Upon further reading MM recommends not changing to uppers with poly bushings unless your car is strictly for the drag strip. They say you're better off with the stock rubber bushings. Are those lowers the ones with spherical bushings? Those are good too if so!

ANYWAY, to OP I think you should just get the MM lowers or the ones jazzer showed. Both will reduce side to side articulation and not break the bank. I think uppers are unnecessary. I wish I had left mine alone and saved for subframes.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I figured you knew what was the haps

Installing a PHB will allow you to run a SINGLE UCA on the passenger side (leave the stock one) as a short-cut to installing a torque-arm. The UCA's really have two functions as they are designed. The first is to limit lateral movement, as you have mentioned. The axle is said to have up to 2" of travel either direction. I think this is pretty extreme and would probably take a VERY hard turn and some VERY worn bushings to accomplish such a feat, but that is what I understand. The second job is to stop, or limit, axle wind-up. The UCA's are less than great at both of these jobs and also bind up on axle articulation, as you have also mentioned.

I have not seen a Maximum Motorsports torque-arm installed, but appears to just mount onto the trans cross-member. This would seem to be an easy install and far better than the stock set-up.

MM torque-arm $450.00 or so:

MM PHB $340.00 or so:

UPR poly/spherical (above) LCA's $200.00 or so:

Figure $1100.00 or so (before any labor) for a sweet set-up. Of course, is one was only into the strip, he could spend MUCH less effort and $$$ to accomplish a good launch.

Jazzer
Old 04-29-2009, 09:29 AM
krazymofo22
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info Jazzer but my car is not a strip car..lol..i go to the track maybe once a month thats all..so i woudnt need all that
Old 04-29-2009, 09:31 AM
xterm11
1st Gear Member

A friend of mine said you might need to modify your exhaust to run a PHB/TA combo. Is there any truth to that or is he just misinformed?
Old 04-29-2009, 11:09 AM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xterm11
A friend of mine said you might need to modify your exhaust to run a PHB/TA combo. Is there any truth to that or is he just misinformed?
I'm pretty certain that is false if you go with the MM brand. Clearing exhaust was one of the design considerations for it. I'm not sure about the griggs one but Jazzer will know since he has it
Old 04-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I think PB is correct on both counts

My Griggs PHB frame is HUGE and required some exhaust work to fit. My fuel tank was even slightly modified for clearance, so I have pretty much NO spare room under there

The TA, however, does not pose any clearance issues except a bit closer to the ground just in front of the pumpkin. Pretty sure I have rubbed on it while straddling a hump in the road. Although, I have trouble straddling an ace of spades playing card too

Jazzer
Old 04-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by krazymofo22
Thanks for the info Jazzer but my car is not a strip car..lol..i go to the track maybe once a month thats all..so i woudnt need all that
I don't blame you, good suspension mods come by way of empty wallet

I went to an autoX event over the past weekend and The VIXN performed spectacular throughout the day. This is where the PHB/Watts-Link and torque-arm would really pay-off particularly well.

Jazzer
Old 04-29-2009, 03:16 PM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

jazzer - do you think the MM PHG, TA and LCA's would be a good start for me? you already know my situation from my other thread. i am talking doing this stuff without touching my shocks/struts and springs or anything else. or would just getting LCA's be my best bet for now.

Quick Reply: Control arms