4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:06 PM
TKEstang

Default Coolant leak - now upgrade questions...

Well I did search and I think I found similar threads but I want to include pics just so I can be sure I am identifying my problem.

While changing my oil today I noticed that I was low on coolant. I tracked down where it appears to be leaking. (evidenced by being wet and you can hear a little hissing in the area after you shut off the car. The hissing changes when you give the nearby coolant hose a squeeze). I have not been running hot on the temp gauge.

Here is the area, it appears to be on the other side of where the arrow is pointing.

Where this arrow is is the actual area on the backside of the above pic

My first guess would be the gasket, is that a correct assumption? What else would I be looking for beyond the gasket once I tear this down to fix it?

Is there anything else I should be replacing in the same area while I have some stuff apart (i.e. thermostat or anything else?)

Thanks for any input

Last edited by TKEstang; 06-27-2009 at 07:35 PM. Reason: revised title...
Old 06-27-2009, 05:51 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Well since you already have a metal intake, I'd also assume the intake gasket is bad.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:06 PM
TKEstang

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Well since you already have a metal intake, I'd also assume the intake gasket is bad.
Boooooo
unfortunately I see what you are saying. Since fixing the intake gasket will require me to remove the intake manifold; here comes a few NOOB questions that I initially planned to bring forth over the future months...

I should point out now that my overall goal is to eventually add a Kenne Bell SC...

Since I have to remove the intake manifold should I invest in a performance manifold such as http://www.americanmuscle.com/typhoo...-polished.html ? Or does the intake manifold get replaced when a screw type SC is added? I certainly do not want to spend money on an upgrade that I replace in the near-ish future

TB/Plenum? same question... can I upgrade the TB/Plenum and add a SC later? or would the TB/Plenum be replaced anyways when the SC is added?

Overall, if I am going to dig this far into my engine I will want to upgrade. Are there any other upgrades I should consider?
Old 06-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Don't bother with any of the mods you mentioned. The KB will be replacing all that. Except the throttle body, I don't think they come with a new one, but don't quote me on that.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:30 PM
GT Tommy
1st Gear Member

Default Sounds like the same coolant leak that we had!

Sounds like you have the same coolant leak that my son had on his 2003 GT Mustang. Here's what we found after we removed the intake. The 1st picture below is of the bottom view of his intake at the base of the thermostat housing, exactly where your leak is. The 2nd picture is of the passenger side just below the aluminum cross over channel. Notice how the O rings are out of position in both area's. I believe that what caused these O rings to be pushed out of position is a faulty thermostat. The thermostat is either stuck or frozen in the closed position. Now, the overheated coolant and pressure, has no where to go, so it looks for the weakest point in the system. From looking over my son's intake after I removed it, the weakest point in the system are these two locations. The plastic portion of the intake where the O ring sits, is only 1/4" thick. With all the heat and pressure, this area becomes weak and soft, which then allows the O rings to be pushed out of position, which then causes a coolant leak in these area's. I strongly believe that this is a design flaw, of which the Ford Motor Company will never admit to. The 3rd picture is of another intake I found on one of the forums which has the same exact coolant leak. Notice how the plastic portion of the intake where the O ring sits is distorted, and melted downward from the heat. Hope this helps. If I can be of further help to you, just ask. Good luck, Tommy.

Last edited by GT Tommy; 06-28-2009 at 04:44 PM.