4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

car wont go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 07:59 PM
disturbdgt
2nd Gear Member

Default car wont go into gear

so this morning, i go to my car and start it up and it wont go into gear. i cant put it into 1 through reverse. if i turn the car off and try to put it into gear it will go. but if i leave it in and start it it will just stall out. when i press on the clutch pedal it doesnt feel stiff anymore like it used to. what could be causing this. i just had a new clutch and bearings installed in the tranny about a week and a half ago. thanks for any input.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:01 PM
disturbdgt
2nd Gear Member

oh forgot, its an 01 gt w/ 3650 tranny
Old 07-27-2009, 08:05 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Broken/disconnected clutch cable.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:31 PM
BOSTANG
2nd Gear Member

+1. When in gear does the car try to pull off, when you try to start it in gear?
Old 07-28-2009, 12:03 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

This should be common sense, if the pedal doesnt feel like a pedal, then why even post about it? Get under the hood and check the cable, look under the dash at the quadrant and make sure its on, and check underneath on the clutch fork to make sure its on. I've heard of cables snapping as well.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:42 PM
disturbdgt
2nd Gear Member

well guys i think i might of found my culprit. i dont think the clutch is releasing or something. cause the throw out bearing and fork are tightly pressed up against the
pressure plate. below are some pics of what im talking about. so how can i fix this?

Old 07-30-2009, 01:34 AM
toolegit86
1st Gear Member

a spring?? maybe on the quadrant you try pulling back on the clutch pedal since the work has been done?? my act on my old 10sec talon was set up to be like that so i dont know if thats a problem
Old 07-30-2009, 05:29 AM
disturbdgt
2nd Gear Member

yeah ive tried pulling up on the pedal and still no go, i just cant figure this out.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:22 AM
disturbdgt
2nd Gear Member

im not sure what could be causing it cause it was driving fine for teh week that i had it since i got it back from the shop and was driving fine the day before and then the very next day no go. i just went and pushed in on the clutch pedal and help it there with some supplies all the way on the floor and got underneath the car and seen that the clutch fork and everything moved forward with the pedal pressed in, so what could it be. low fluid or pedal might need adjusting
Old 07-30-2009, 04:25 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

How much freeplay is in "teh"¹ pedal, if you are seeing motion in the lever then it would appear the cable is not broken and perhaps the cable adjustment is far too loose (OEM quadrant/pawl stripped?).

Also, what "fluid" would you suspect might be low--this is a cable operated clutch?

---------------------------------
¹ - Keeping in mind that I am old, what is this teh thing? Is it considered "cool" or something, it's still 3 keystrokes so why not spell it correctly?

Quick Reply: car wont go into gear