4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

afraid i may be running a little rich

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 03:04 AM
jkm1987
3rd Gear Member

Default afraid i may be running a little rich

well tonight my friend driving behind me noticed i was putting out a good bit of white smoke so when i turned the car off white smoke was pouring out the tail pipes earlier today i advanced my timing a littlmore w/my predator so i figured that was the problem so i took the tune off and just install the diablo tune w/out fooling w/the timing the let it idle and the smoke was as bad but there was still a bit of white smoke coming out would this be normal w/my mods? or should i get this checked out ive considred getting and A/F ratio gauge to keep and eye on it but i dunno please help
Old 07-08-2005, 03:07 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: afraid i may be running a little rich

If you are rich then the smoke should be black or a dark gray. If its white then its usually a blown head gasket. Did you smell antifreeze or did the car over heat?
Old 07-08-2005, 03:14 AM
jkm1987
3rd Gear Member

oh no thats not good but no its fine it overheated a while back some kid at oreiley's gave me the wrong size thermostat figured that out real quick lol but i turned it off and let it cool down but that was 3 weeks ago and i havent smelt anything since
Old 07-08-2005, 03:15 AM
jkm1987
3rd Gear Member

oh yea and after i turned the timing back down it was alot better still a little bit but not much it was at night under headlights so maybe thats why it looked white
Old 07-08-2005, 03:18 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Just curious... what did you have the timing set to?
Old 07-08-2005, 03:28 AM
jkm1987
3rd Gear Member

well ive been slowly putting it up by 1 degree every day i had it at 6 and i went ahead and put it to ten for the hell of it this afternoon drove maybe 5 miles w/at at 10 seemed fine it didnt knock ping detonate whatever you wanna call it i guess that was the problem i just put it back down to normal reset all the parameters i had on it i never messed w/a/f on it i guess that was the problem iafter i took it back down it wasn't near as bad just a little bit ill take a look at it again tommorow in the sun thanks for the help
Old 07-08-2005, 11:07 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

So you are saying you had it advanced somewhere between 15 and 20 degrees? Thats WAY to much for an NA 4.6. The most you are suppose to go is 14 degrees.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Fat Nick
I ♥ Acer

I agree, black smoke is running rich.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:18 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

The predator bumps the timing 10degrees over the stock 10 degrees, for a total advance of 20degrees with the ability to advance it 2degrees more.

The timing page is a % of overall timing. So the most you can put in the car is 22 with a predator.

A steeda timing adjust allows you to advance the timing over 25degrees. But is not recommeded to run over 24 on a N/A 4.6.

So needless to say you haven't bumped the timing 1degree every day, but like .2 degrees everyday. Right now you should be running 21.2degrees of timing if you use the live data montiring.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:27 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Oh, how often do you get on it? If very rarly it could be carbon burning off.

Also if you washed the car or sat idle for awhile it could be water that condensed in the system.

Rich would be black or gray smoke and stink like unspent gas. you can also look at your tips. If you have a sooty interior then the car is running rich.

With the predator and mods you have you should still be about a 13.0 if the car runs right.

I dynoed mine and had a 12.5 after 3k, tip in the car was lean but came down to a 14 in about 1k rpm. The lean tip in is due to the intake/plenum/TB combo.

Timing doesn't affect rich or lean, but detonation. Pulling timing won't affect if you are rich.

A autometer A/F guage is useless in a N/A car. It is not nearly accurate enough and requires a heat time before it even read close. The only way to make sure you are rich/lean is using a wideband A/F usually over 400bucks, or a dyno. Dyno's around here cost 100 an hour if you do your own tuning.

I would recommend getting on a dyno.

I would rather be rich then lean, either way.

Quick Reply: afraid i may be running a little rich