4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2000 gt problem... please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:55 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ledee416
my issue is definitely water related. every time it rains hard my car starts running crazy. I dont know exactly what it is but rain or a car wash messes up everything.
Its probably your COPs. Read my sticky in my sig.

Erm where did my sig go?

Last edited by devongarver; 06-16-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:35 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

let's try again....
Old 06-17-2010, 04:37 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I kinda noticed the same thing with my car. Car would drive fine then hesitae and then drive fine.Because of the S/C I will be chaning plugs and injectors. Decided to also change the fuel filter, hopefully that will cure it..
Old 06-17-2010, 05:00 AM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Where is your air filter located?

With my setup the air filter is right by the ground inside the fender and the car does not run well at all in the rain because the filter gets soaked.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:32 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

When the problem isnt occuring, my car pulls like a beast.

This statement rules out plugs, as well as the fuel filter. If plugs are fouled, they are not going to magically not be fouled, and then be fouled again...

If the fuel filter is clogged/clogging, the only symptoms that would be intermittent would involve it missing more at higher rpms or more throttle open position. It would still do it consistently unless it is bad fuel.

Check the tops of the COPs for cracks, thats a sure sign they are going to give you troubles when it is wet.

There are several links in my sticky regarding where to purchase new ones for about 85$ for a set of 8. There is also trouble shooting information in the sticky.

As far as the air filter getting wet, you sig shows a bbk CAI. That locates the air filter in the fenderwell, it is relatively well protected, but you may still want to check to make sure it hasn't worked its way loose or anything. I would start with the COPs though.

good luck, let us know the outcome.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:05 AM
ledee416

thanks for the input. Its not my CAI, as you said it is pretty well protected. I changed out all COP boots with new ones. A few were cracked. I inspected each cop when i did the boots... not cracks that I can see. Car still hates me when it rains hard. living in Florida that sucks badly. Is it possible that its a fuel injection issue? can water mess up fuel rail or something.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:14 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ledee416
thanks for the input. Its not my CAI, as you said it is pretty well protected. I changed out all COP boots with new ones. A few were cracked. I inspected each cop when i did the boots... not cracks that I can see. Car still hates me when it rains hard. living in Florida that sucks badly. Is it possible that its a fuel injection issue? can water mess up fuel rail or something.
Well for what its worth, the COPs don't HAVE to be cracked for them to fail, it's just an easy way to tell if they are. The fuel rail is sealed, WELL, there is no way water is getting in unless fuel is getting OUT. The fuel is under pressure, and would be leaking like mad if there was a bad seal or O-ring on the injectors. I'm still leanin on the COPs...but it's not going to be proven one way or another unless you replace them with new ones. Did you physically check the air filter to be sure it hasnt worked loose? The only other thing I can think of(and this is a LOOOOOOONG shot) is that water is getting into your tank itself...
Old 06-17-2010, 11:11 AM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

I would still verify that air filter is not actually getting wet.

In the engine bay with my K&N CAI it was always dry. After the vortech forced me to have it in the fender it gets soaked everytime it rains even though the fender liner is in place and everything is there.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:25 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Yes, that is still a possibility. The only trouble is you have to take all kinds of crap apart just to touch the filter lol. A filter wrap from K&N might help this...
Old 06-17-2010, 11:13 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

oh okay i will definately look into buying one of those filter wraps thanks.

Quick Reply: 2000 gt problem... please help