4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2000 gt problem... please help

Old 09-01-2009, 09:23 PM
ledee416

Default 2000 gt problem... please help

I am new to the forum and have an issue with my 2000 gt. I have a stage 2 jet chip, flowmasters, and a bbk cold air intake. Not always, but sometimes. ...(it seems to happen alot when it rains, but also when sometimes when it doesnt)... I have a weird idle/ accelration problem. When the problem isnt occuring, my car pulls like a beast. But when it does it really sucks badly. Here is the issue:

I start the car and let it warm up. once it is warm (and also before it is warm), I give it some gas and it makes almost a weird gurgling sound. it feels like it isnt getting enough gas. when I am driving it does this also, and besides feeling like it is stumbling, it also has poor acceleration. it almost feels like the car is vibrating due to the hesitation... I also notice when the problem occurs that my exhaust sounds alot different. once the rpms are above 2000, then it seems to be driving fine. I also notice that when the ac is off, the idle isnt nearly as bad, but when I turn it on it stumbles at idle, but doesnt stall.

I am puzzled by this, since it doesnt always happen, and additonally, it only happens at low rpms.

thanks in advance for your advice/ help
Old 09-02-2009, 01:25 AM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Clean your MAF . When was the last time you have changed plugs and a fuel filter?
Old 09-02-2009, 01:51 AM
ledee416

I just bought the car a few months ago. I was thinking it might be fuel filter or plugs. I am going to do them tomorrow. I thought if it were one of those two things that it would happen all the time though no? it seems weird that at times it doesnt have the problem at all.

Since posting this thread, I took it out tonight and it seems to be hesitating at any rpm when I press the gas.

Would a dirty MAF cause that? I will look up how to clean it right now, and hopefully that will fix it.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:09 AM
Black 2000GT

Go for the fuel filter change also. It's easy and cheap..
Old 09-02-2009, 02:56 AM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

I would guess wet or dirty maf or wet or dirty maf connector.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:10 AM
rthouck
2nd Gear Member

For future reference I would recommend changing the plugs, filters, fluids, etc..... everytime you buy a car - its cheap insurance and it gives you a window into the previous owner's level of care. (cleaning the MAF, and intake with carb cleaner and a good waxing too would all be included in this intitial buying makeover)
Old 09-02-2009, 07:25 PM
ledee416

ok...so I took out the maf and sprayed it down thoroughly with brake parts cleaner. it runs slightly better now, but still has the hesitation/ sluggish feeling. I am going to do the plugs and fuel filter tonight and hopefully that helps. if it turns out not to be those things....any suggestions?

I noticed that since I put in that stage 2 jet chip, the problem has gotten a bit worse. Im thinking the advanced timing, etc is just exagerating a problem that the stock tune had as well. I pulled the chip out and it still does the same thing.

any help appreciated
Old 06-14-2010, 01:40 AM
fda7709

mine does the same thing, I changed spark plugs and fuel filter. did you ever find a solution for your car? any help would greatly be appreciated.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

I really think that the plugs and injectors might be the biggest part of this problem. I have seen a lot of threads regarding sluggish performance, and every time the OP cleans out the MAF it turns out to be injectors or something else non-computer signal related.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:48 AM
ledee416

my issue is definitely water related. every time it rains hard my car starts running crazy. I dont know exactly what it is but rain or a car wash messes up everything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 gt problem... please help