4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

ok...tell me if this is a dumb idea..lol spark plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:59 AM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

put the stock plugs back in it and take it up to the dealer and let them worry about it.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:27 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by jrherald420
put the stock plugs back in it and take it up to the dealer and let them worry about it.
do you have any clue how much it sucks to do plugs on this truck? lol

i dont think the dealer is going to touch this either way....it didnt happen like that from the factory...the previous owners of the truck had to of done something to **** the plug up....probably voided the warranty...theyre not gonna pull the head and fix/replace it because of something someone did to it...warranty only covers **** that breaks on its own....atleast thats always how i understood it

i had to remove the supercharger just to reach some of the plugs...and the back 2 i had a friend come over to help with because i just couldnt get to them...i guess i wasnt crafty enough

heres what i was working with

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...0/CIMG1231.jpg

***i dont have an oil separator on the truck yet because i dont have funding for it... so ignore the oil you see....ill get one eventually, but since i got it all cleaned up...i figure ive got another 15-20k before i need to clean it again***

Last edited by 99BlackPonyGT; 09-24-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:35 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

i'd probably try to drill through it then run a bolt down in thurr (use jb weld on the bolt( teh threads)and then twist if off.

wait its a lightning?

supercharger?

lol anyway
Old 09-24-2009, 02:43 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
i'd probably try to drill through it then run a bolt down in thurr (use jb weld on the bolt( teh threads)and then twist if off.

wait its a lightning?

supercharger?

lol anyway
i think im just gonna wait till it becomes an issue...or once my car is running well enough that i can daily it for a couple days to school and work, ill just pull the head and fix it....

and its not a lightning, but its close enough...harley trucks had a different pulley and made like 15hp less than the lightning...harley made 4lbs from the factory, lightning made 6lbs

Old 09-24-2009, 06:46 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

With a truck like that please dont half azz trying to fix it. Take the head off and fix it right if you cant get the plug out. PLEASE?!?!?!!?
Old 09-25-2009, 08:40 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by jrherald420
With a truck like that please dont half azz trying to fix it. Take the head off and fix it right if you cant get the plug out. PLEASE?!?!?!!?
did you read any of my posts? i was asking if there was a way to fix it without pulling the head, but that im not willing to risk breaking it any further and was asking for suggestions....pulling the head is NOT an option at this time, so im going to leave it how it is since the truck is running fine, and my last post says

"i think im just gonna wait till it becomes an issue...or once my car is running well enough that i can daily it for a couple days to school and work, ill just pull the head and fix it...."
Old 09-25-2009, 09:09 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xemeth
The JB weld thing most likely won't work. If it did adhere to the porcelin on the plug, the torque required to start turning the plug will be greater than the force that the porcelin can take, and it'll break. Then you'll be stuck with a 7 cylinder truck.

Honestly, if it's not causing a problem, and it's your only mode of transportation right now, I'd leave it as is until you'd be able to tear it down if necessary.
+1, the tinsel strength of the JB vs the amout of tq to twist the SP out would just turn the JB weld into broken chunks.

I say there's only one option, find a socket that just a little smaller than the SP and hammer it on like a removing a bad lug nut. It WILL destroy the thread so have a helicoil kit ready.

(Or you could always try the gator grip socket, I've seen it work a couple of times. definitely not the great tool ever created but sometimes it works.)
Old 09-25-2009, 09:20 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by sxynerd
+1, the tinsel strength of the JB vs the amout of tq to twist the SP out would just turn the JB weld into broken chunks.

I say there's only one option, find a socket that just a little smaller than the SP and hammer it on like a removing a bad lug nut. It WILL destroy the thread so have a helicoil kit ready.

(Or you could always try the gator grip socket, I've seen it work a couple of times. definitely not the great tool ever created but sometimes it works.)
im just gonna wait it out until i can pull the head...

theres nothing to hammer a socket onto..except porcelain lol...the head of the plug is entirely gone
Old 09-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
im just gonna wait it out until i can pull the head...

theres nothing to hammer a socket onto..except porcelain lol...the head of the plug is entirely gone
So, the only thing left is the thread?? The "Nut" of the spark plug is connected to the threads so you're say that someone was able to Tq off the nut but leave the center shaft in tact? That takes some serious tallent.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:43 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by sxynerd
So, the only thing left is the thread?? The "Nut" of the spark plug is connected to the threads so you're say that someone was able to Tq off the nut but leave the center shaft in tact? That takes some serious tallent.
thats how it looks yea....which is why i think someone used a high powered impact gun and snapped it...but hell idk...all i know is what you can see in the pic i posted...

plug well filled with porcelain dust

blew it all out, stuck socket down in there...socket wont grab

stuck camera lens down there and snapped a pic, and thats what i saw

Quick Reply: ok...tell me if this is a dumb idea..lol spark plug