4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tire blew out? What is this garbage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:21 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by demighost
well first its illegal to do what they did to you (in ny anyway) But if ur sidewall was chewed you might have driven on the tire itself, Almost no air in there would cause the rim to ride on the sidewall scraping away the inside. you sir are a dumbass it is illegal let someone leave a shop if they have run flat (The black shredded rubber in the tire)

They were correct in suggesting you replace it but, to force you into it isn't, At my shop we have a waiver form of sorts for situations like this. If the customer wants us to put a tire or whatever on their car that is dangerous we make them fill it out and thats that. like i said above it is illegal to put a tire back on the wheel if it has run flat so please tell everyone here were you work so they can stay away and they dont get put in harms way because you think it is alright to put a damaged tire that is ready to blow back on a car.

I'm pretty sure its illegal tho, But if you signed a work order or anything showing the purchase your out of luck I would think. i am positive that it is illegal to put a tire on that has side wall damage like that back on a car.

Go back there with a cop friend to scare them into doing right by you that will do no good at all they followed the law

like many people above said the reason why you could not have it repaired is because of the run flat in the tire that is rubber from the side wall if you were to hit a pot hole on a damaged tire like that it would have blew out instantly. the only warranty that i have seen that is good is the Discount Tire certs warranty if any thing happens to the tire and it is not repairable they will replace it for free. that does mean it has to be above 2/32 of tread which anything less than that is legally bald.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:30 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

i had a wheel that didnt hold air, so i had to constantly fill my tire up....eventually it just got so weak from being aired up and then driven flat and aired up and driven flat that the sidewall gave out....i had to have the wheel replaced, and the tire... blew at 80mph and the truck took a hard swirve...if it would have been a front tire instead of a rear, i bet the truck woulda wrecked

OP quit bitching, heres what coulda happened....next time maybe it will and then i bet you will get on here posting how pissed you are that they let you leave the shop on a bad tire...blah blah

no i wasnt missing lugnuts...took the pic half way through changing it
Old 10-04-2009, 09:35 PM
03_GT_Reaper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
i had a wheel that didnt hold air, so i had to constantly fill my tire up....eventually it just got so weak from being aired up and then driven flat and aired up and driven flat that the sidewall gave out....i had to have the wheel replaced, and the tire... blew at 80mph and the truck took a hard swirve...if it would have been a front tire instead of a rear, i bet the truck woulda wrecked

OP quit bitching, heres what coulda happened....next time maybe it will and then i bet you will get on here posting how pissed you are that they let you leave the shop on a bad tire...blah blah

no i wasnt missing lugnuts...took the pic half way through changing it
That is sickening. You are very lucky that you didnt have an accident. What kind of tire was that?
Old 10-04-2009, 09:38 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Looks like BFG^
Old 10-04-2009, 09:39 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Looks like BFG^
Old 10-05-2009, 07:40 AM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

yep looks like a bfg but in a case like that brand does not matter if the side wall is damaged it will blow out unless you have run flat tires