4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help with S/C

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 02:16 PM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

look up torktech. there new kids on the block but they make some good supercharger kits.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Afghanmentor08

so as far as the motor goes what would i need to do for it to be ready for a big s/c?
Old 02-03-2010, 06:03 PM
JCstang01
2nd Gear Member

To run big boost you will need a built short block with forged pistons and rods at a minimum. A forged crankshaft is always good investment as well. And typically if you are going to that much trouble and expense than you might as well consider upgrading to some high-flow cylinder heads or porting and polishing the stock heads at a minimum.

You must always be very thoughtful of the compression ratio when building a motor for a high boost application as well. Big boost on a high compression ratio motor does not work well... at least on pump gas.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

If money is not an issue then, i recommend instead of building a forge motor, blower, and supporting suspension mods to just sell your '02 and buy an '03 Cobra hands down.

If you are looking for just 375 rwhp just go with a blower an innercooler and call it a day. If a weekend warrior, no money issue then put a turbo on your car...
Old 02-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Fobra
Banned

its such a toss up... but generally a twin screw has a much bigger but-dyno number, but a centri or a turbo will generally = faster 1/4 times. On the street, it depends on if you can hook, the twin will get out the gate faster and then the centri/turbo will run it down.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:16 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

for a daily-driven car, i'd recommend a twin screw, like the kenne bell. i have a Vortech S-trim and it's great in the upper-rpms, but i wish it made more power down low. if i could go back and do anything different with my motor, i would have gotten a twin-screw or TVS blower rather than a centrifugal. i found my Vortech setup from a member of the forum for a hell of a good price though (entire setup w/ aftercooler for $3k), which is the main reason i bought it.

if money isn't an issue then you really should go with a forged rotating assembly. might as well port the heads (or get the new Trick Flow heads) while you're at it, and a set of cams if it's in the budget.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:02 AM
00infernoGT

Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT
The most basic one. For Vortech I believe its the S-trim. Any of the basic models will generate more horsepower than the stock rods and pistons can hold. If you ever plan to build up the motor later it is more cost effective to buy a bigger supercharger initially than to upgrade later.
well are the factory GT rods and pistons forged? when i did a rebuild i went ahead and made sure I had forged pistons and rods. plus i have LT's and a Typhoon intake...so i just wanna spend money wisely as its a little scarce right now.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:19 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

^^^No they are not forged.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

I'm not an engine builder but there are also other things that they do to make the motor ready for high horsepower levels but forgeds rods and pistons are a start. A forged crank if you are going above 650 hp. A completely upgraded fuel system with sumped Cobra tank and twin fuel pumps. A beefed up drive to hold up to the power and an upgraded suspension to get it to the ground.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:39 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Afghanmentor08
so as far as the motor goes what would i need to do for it to be ready for a big s/c?
You can put a big blower on the stock motor; like said earlier, if you're planning on running big boost later, get the blower now rather than spending money upgrading later. That's what I'll be doing, I plan on running a Procharger F1a. But beware, a bigger blower is made for bigger boost. Putting a large enough pulley to keep below 12psi at an absolute max will affect how the blower acts. An F1a at 12lbs is going to act much differently than a P1SC at 12lbs. The bigger blower will most likely be a little more sluggish in the low to mid range compared to the smaller.

Quick Reply: Help with S/C