4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

ATTN Automatics with aftermarket shifters!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 02:53 AM
sfi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: ATTN Automatics with aftermarket shifters!

Ethan, I did sort off the same thing you did. I bought a aftermarket shift handle from UPR and a automatic o/d relocator that fits on the shifter. When I pulled the handle off, I ripped the o/d wires. You can only p/u these at Ford(no one else sells them).
ON the counsel around the shifter, you can detach it. There little clips on the backside of the counsel that you can GENTLY PRY upwards. I found this out the hard way. Once you pull this off, you may be able to get under the shifter handle. You will have to pull on the o/d wires up to get to them.There should be enought room unless you have giant hands. Needle nose works good. I had to splice the new o/d wires into the old to make the o/d work. I also had to change the fuse(light blue) under the steering wheel to get it to work.
The stock shifter handle you will have too buy at ford dealership also. I paid $22.66 w/tax
at Fords part number YR3Z-7G550-AA Switch ASY(the o/d buttton). I can't imagine the stock shifter to be any more. Id give you mine, but I scratched it up pretty bad pulling it off. There a site called newfordparts.com, chk it out, it may help you w/out going to the dealership.UNless you take the entire counsel up(attached to parking brake), you will not beable to get to the beggining of the o/d wire, I will assure you that.
There's also a site that you can get the exact shifter handle, but alot nicer at www.ssinserts.com. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:36 AM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

Default RE: ATTN Automatics with aftermarket shifters!

If I read your message correctly, you missunderstood where I broke the wires off. I have plenty of wire from the shifter floor all the way up to the shifter handle (nearly). It was when I pounded the shifter handle back down (after reconnecting the wires the first time) that I chopped the wires in half inside the handle. I just need the shifter handle and enough wire from the inside of it to connect to my originals. I will check out your link though. I'll get back to you. My defroster is non-functioning now and my top motor doesn't work either. Strange, but I hope it's all related to those wires currently being dissconnected. That's a lot of shat running on those 2 wires though, O/D, defroster, top motor,airbags, and blinkers. One busy circuit! Thanks again and I will get back to you shortly!

Ethan

UPDATE: That link didn't have the original shifter handle, but I will contact ford (theres a dealership here in my town) and call up the junkyards and see what I can find.... Thanks again!