4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Popping noise up front

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 02:42 PM
yamanx
1st Gear Member

Default Popping noise up front

I get a popping noise in the front of my car when I go from reverse to drive or taking some turns fast. All bushings are present up front and in good condition. I just replaced my ball joints with Steeda X2s thinking that was the issue, the old ones were pretty bad, but it only made the popping worse... any ideas?
Old 03-05-2010, 08:05 PM
97gold
2nd Gear Member

i have the same problem i dont know what it is either
Old 03-05-2010, 10:03 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

i get a poping noise too, but im running coilovers and have just accepted the fact that its probably my struts...

are you running Caster camber plates?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:48 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Tighten that cross bar that goes from one side to the frame to the other right behind the oil pan. It is mounted with two 15mm bolts. Make sure that the car is sitting on level ground and the load is on the wheels so that the frame is not flexed at all when you tighten the bolts. The best place to do this on is a drive on lift. Make sure you get it nice and tight. I would recommend a 1/2" breaker bar of ratchet. This happened to me before and is a common problem with these cars, but still seems to a mystery to shops and dealerships. I have heard of people replacing everything from ball joints to shock tower mounts to try to fix this problem.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:02 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2005
i get a poping noise too, but im running coilovers and have just accepted the fact that its probably my struts...

are you running Caster camber plates?
Coilovers should not be popping, check to make sure your spring is actually sitting on its perch and not off of it
Old 03-06-2010, 02:29 AM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Aereon
Coilovers should not be popping, check to make sure your spring is actually sitting on its perch and not off of it
i have nothing to contribute to the topic sorry lol

but aereon your car is sooooooooooo damn sexxxxxxxxxxyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!! every time i see one of your post i just stare at ur car for like 5 min lol. just thought u should know
Old 03-06-2010, 02:47 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by massred98gt

but aereon your car is sooooooooooo damn sexxxxxxxxxxyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!! every time i see one of your post i just stare at ur car for like 5 min lol. just thought u should know
lols ty, car is undergoing a bit of change atm, chin has been swapped out and new rims are coming..

back to OP is it coming from the pass side? I know someone who had their whole front suspension overhauled due to a pop and still didn't fix it. I just devloped this popping sound after redoing my whole suspension with mm's grip kit.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:04 PM
yamanx
1st Gear Member

I haven't been able to check the K-member area or any frame bolts yet but I can't really pin point what side it is coming from so I'll just have to see tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:44 AM
KLeech
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by massred98gt

i thought the exact same thing when i saw that car! lol
Old 03-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Something to think about.....could be the steering rack. From my research this is pretty much a problem waiting to happen on every single new edge. Heres my thread/video on it and my fix source, credit to cliffyk the man. I did this fix and it worked brilliantly.

http://paladinmicro.com/PalMFrame00.htm?wks=rak

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...ind-video.html

Quick Reply: Popping noise up front