4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Taking out my A/C

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 11:57 PM
5pointslow91
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dr.apex
just a question, don't take it the wrong way. Why would anyone want to take beneficial things off the car such as egr?
F if i know
Old 03-14-2010, 12:41 AM
tonycarlson

Originally Posted by dr.apex
just a question, don't take it the wrong way. Why would anyone want to take beneficial things off the car such as egr?
Well, because the only real "benefit" is for emissions and a little bit in the way of mpg. The benefit to getting rid of it is in cleaning up the engine bay and not sending exhaust gases back through the engine. Since I have collector insurance on my car and it isn't a daily driver I don't need to worry about emissions at all, so I want to clean things up as much as possible. Not a big deal either way really, but I did need to have my tuner modify the tune to disable the egr so it doesn't throw a code.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:58 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tonycarlson
Well, because the only real "benefit" is for emissions and a little bit in the way of mpg. The benefit to getting rid of it is in cleaning up the engine bay and not sending exhaust gases back through the engine. Since I have collector insurance on my car and it isn't a daily driver I don't need to worry about emissions at all, so I want to clean things up as much as possible. Not a big deal either way really, but I did need to have my tuner modify the tune to disable the egr so it doesn't throw a code.
gotcha...
Old 03-14-2010, 07:19 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

EGR

Exhaust Gas Recirculation (sp?)

for those that didnt know lol
Old 03-14-2010, 07:00 PM
MustangManiac67
1st Gear Member

thanks for the abbreviation translation...I got another question but Im just gonna make a new thread
Old 03-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

2 other options....

You could buy the A/C delete dumb pulley I have real cheap or.......

"The A/C delete dumb pulley has always bothered me. The plastic pulley just didn't look right to me under there. I'm sure it would stand the test of time but it still just bothered me everytime I opened my hood. Someone on another site had posted how they had bypassed their A/C delete so I decided to try it:

Before

After

The Offending Pulleys

What I used to do the mod

Basically, you use a 6 rib V6 pulley and a 70.5 inch long belt. I bought the 6 rib V6 pulley at my local Autozone and the belt I had bought a while back from Summit but never had gotten around to doing the mod. I'm sure any Autozone/O'Reilly's will have it.

It was fairly easy. Take your rachet and connect it to the square in the idler arm. Pull it to your right and pull off the stock belt. Unscrew the idler from the cover. Flip the idler around and you'll see the bolt that holds down the pulley. Unscrew it and take off the pulley. Take a 5/8" or 3/4" thin washer and slip it over the post where the pulley came off. Install the V6 pulley and screw it back on. Make sure that the washer you use doesn't touch the outer steel ring in the bearing. When you tighten it up it'll clamp down on the washer and the V6 pulley won't spin. Tighten down the pulley and check to make sure the pulley spins freely. Take another thin washer(I used another 5/8" one since that was all I had laying around. You may want to take the bolt that bolts the idler to the cover to get the correct sized washer. Just make sure it is a thin one) and use it to space the idler arm out from the cover or else the V6 pulley will rub on the cover. Run the belt the way it is in the after picture(Or look below for a front view). The easiest way is to start with the belt around the idler and start threading it from there. You'll probably get to the crank pulley and not have enough slack to get it around. Take your rachet and put it back in the square hole in the idler and pull the idler to your right while simultaneously wrapping the belt on the crank pulley. Once you have it on just make sure everything lines up and that the idler bolt is tight. Start her up and make sure the belt doesn't come off by revving it to red line a few times. After that you can remove all the other pulleys if you want or you can leave them on. I took mine off and it really uncluttered that part of the engine.

I didn't really notice any power boost, per se, but the engine seemed a little more peppy and throttle response was a little more crisp. I'm sure there was some sort of HP gain through less parasitic loss but not really noticeable SOP.

Front view of belt routing

"

John
Old 03-15-2010, 07:05 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Whats beneficial about EGR??? I deleted mine for sakes of getting rid of clutter in the engine bay. I've seen no effects but a smoother idle. If there is MPG loss its so minimal its not noticable. Some people claim higher cylinder temps but again if so its serverly minimal.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:16 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Whats beneficial about EGR??? I deleted mine for sakes of getting rid of clutter in the engine bay. I've seen no effects but a smoother idle. If there is MPG loss its so minimal its not noticable. Some people claim higher cylinder temps but again if so its serverly minimal.
I thought it had a bigger affect on gas mileage. I gotta be honest, I just don't have a full understanding of it, it's components, or what (if any) codes will be thrown if messed with.
I get the idae of removinging it to clean up the engine bay, as long as it outweighs the negatives...ie gas mileage etc.