4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tire rubbing issues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 06:29 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Jazzer to the rescue!!!! haha
Old 03-15-2010, 10:51 PM
HKSevo

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
OP... this is an issue with the off-set of the wheels.

Do you know if these wheels were designed for an S197? They are aftermarket wheels and would be about 5/8" too deep for your ride. This would explain the rubbing you have and would not recommend you get new spacers, but rather new wheels

Do you know the off-set of the wheels? Look on the inside and maybe you will see it embossed on the back side of the spokes.

Jazzer
as far as i can tell with the 2003 cobra replica rims, its 26mm (looked online) and according to americanmuscle.com, they fit my car.

I didnt buy the rims, but i think the previous owner bought them from americanmuscle.com because i see he has a pic of my car posted under the customer pics for the rear 17x10.5's

But what i could get off of the front spokes was one spoke said "17x9.0 JJ" then it had a diagram that looked like this:

And then another spoke had "V1127-79 65 C4" and "65M"

next spoke had 690kg

and the last had "ET26 DOT" which might be the off-set???

Also found that it is hitting here:

Which means when i turn the other way, it hits there too "/

Jazzer, may i ask why you wouldnt recommend spacers? i was thinking about 1" spacers like this

THanks for the help guys!
Old 03-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I no longer hafe the OEM lower "A" arms, but don't recall seeing such a piece of metal welded on to them. That would seem to explain the scraping of the wheel itself, but looking at the pics closer, the wheels do seem to be about the proper exposure on the outside of fender. I suppose you may look into the caster settings to see if you have an excessive amount that would case the wheel to "tilt" so far and create rubbing.

As for spacers, I just don't like the idea of having lugs "hidden" behind the wheel and the extra strain applied to them via the thickness of spacer. I know lots of people run them, I am just not a fan. I would think that an extra 5/8" spacer would force the tires into the fenders and start rubbing on the outside. I have always found AM to be wonderful in the fitment dept. so not quite sure what to say. I have seen tires rubbing on front sway bar but seems hard to believe on 235's. Many run 275's and don't have this issue, so wonder if there is another issue with suspension or possibly a mis-labled wheel? Since you already have a 3/8" spacer, I dont' see how those wheels would run without big-time rubbing without them.

Has there been any front end work done? Maybe someone installed Fox body "A" arms (they are 1" shorter)?

Jazzer
Old 03-16-2010, 12:26 PM
HKSevo

I no longer hafe the OEM lower "A" arms, but don't recall seeing such a piece of metal welded on to them. That would seem to explain the scraping of the wheel itself, but looking at the pics closer, the wheels do seem to be about the proper exposure on the outside of fender. I suppose you may look into the caster settings to see if you have an excessive amount that would case the wheel to "tilt" so far and create rubbing.

As for spacers, I just don't like the idea of having lugs "hidden" behind the wheel and the extra strain applied to them via the thickness of spacer. I know lots of people run them, I am just not a fan. I would think that an extra 5/8" spacer would force the tires into the fenders and start rubbing on the outside. I have always found AM to be wonderful in the fitment dept. so not quite sure what to say. I have seen tires rubbing on front sway bar but seems hard to believe on 235's. Many run 275's and don't have this issue, so wonder if there is another issue with suspension or possibly a mis-labled wheel? Since you already have a 3/8" spacer, I dont' see how those wheels would run without big-time rubbing without them.

Has there been any front end work done? Maybe someone installed Fox body "A" arms (they are 1" shorter)?

Jazzer
THe actual scrapping is from the rim, not the tire. I know you can run 275's with a 9inch rim no? the fronts are 17x9 so i would think you can get atleast 255's.

As far as the front end, im not completely sure. I know the driver got "steering" work done. He said he got it replaced so that it is a tighter feel than a loose one. Maybe thats the problem?

I think ill just buy the 1" spacers and be done with it. This is just my DD ya know. As long as the rims dont fall off hahahaha.

Thanks Jazzer!
Old 03-16-2010, 01:01 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

What is this "steering work" cause i bet you that is your problem...
Old 03-16-2010, 02:55 PM
HKSevo

Originally Posted by 98redstang
What is this "steering work" cause i bet you that is your problem...
looked at the receipt that he gave me and all it says is rack and pinion so who knows all that was done other than that.

Well i just bought these spacers
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Hopefully they do the trick

Imma put my 3/8th spacers on the back hahaha

Says that i should get them in 3-4 days. Ill let you guys know when i install and everything

Thanks for the feedback and the help. I really appreciate each and every one of you guys that helped me out
Old 03-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I think you are going to have rubbing on the outside with those spacers, so drive S-L-O-W-L-Y on your first time out and test for clearance at both ends of turning PRIOR to actually driving your car. If you clear, head out slowly and take gradually sharper turns at gradually increased speeds to confirm you don't hit fender upon compression of front suspension.

Jazzer

Yes... you can run a 275 on a 9" wheel, but would rub even worse on sway bar. That shiney area is from tire contact and aware the scraping is from the wheel bead itself and appears to be from the metal plate attached to the "A" arm.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:32 AM
HKSevo

Thanks for the heads up jazzer. I already planned on doing that, maybe not as in depth but Now I know what I should actually do to test them out

one more question for you....what size tire can I run on the rears? I believe they are the 17x10.5's and they have 275's on them now.

Thanks again
Old 03-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Wow... you are runnin' 275's on 10.5"s? Those tires must look pretty stretched to fit that. Typically, most pepes like as much tire as approved on such a wheel and go 315/35's on 17"x10.5". I am in this camp as well, but I run 11" wheels

Jazzer

PS. Pay VERY close attention to the small section of fender that is at the 9:00 position on the drivers side (3:00 position on passenger side) of wheel. There is a section of fender that points right at where the tire will be upon turning. This will tear your tires up and likely damage the fender if you get hard contact.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:31 PM
HKSevo

Wow... you are runnin' 275's on 10.5"s? Those tires must look pretty stretched to fit that. Typically, most pepes like as much tire as approved on such a wheel and go 315/35's on 17"x10.5". I am in this camp as well, but I run 11" wheels

Jazzer

PS. Pay VERY close attention to the small section of fender that is at the 9:00 position on the drivers side (3:00 position on passenger side) of wheel. There is a section of fender that points right at where the tire will be upon turning. This will tear your tires up and likely damage the fender if you get hard contact.
Ahhh sorry about that. I just assumed that it was a staggered rim setup since the staggered tires. But i checked the inside of the rim and it is 17x9's also (again, these rims were put on by the previous owner)

Can i put a 285 tire on it? Whats the biggiest for 17x9's? Damn i might try to sell these down the road (just two of them) and get some 17x10.5's for the rears.

And thanks for the heads up Jazzer about where to look out for the most and what to be cautious about! I really appreciate the help you've given me!!

Last edited by HKSevo; 03-17-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire rubbing issues.