4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Gas quality

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Alex46

Default Gas quality

This came up in another thread and being in the oil business I thought i should share this information. Most of you probably know, but just looking out.

If any of you go out of your way to a certain station where you think your getting better quality gasoline, your not. Some stations really make it seem that you are, but All the companies do the same thing. Whoever has the cheapest on the market is what Every company buys.

Also the difference between 87 and 91 is so small you can barely tell the difference in a lab. If you use 91 i recommend that you use 87 and just put octane booster in. Unless you guys know for it to be harmful which i have not heard.

Regards
Old 03-23-2010, 07:32 AM
fidelcastrol
2nd Gear Member

I've always heard the same and in fact have been by the Colonial pipeline terminal in Greensboro, NC and seen all the different gas company trucks fuel up from the same pumps and have talked to several of the drivers and they all say the same thing, it's all the same 87 octane gas, the 91 octane is just 87 pumped in along with a barrel of octane booster.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:40 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Alex,

Thank your for that, I was going to chime in on theat other thread however I've learned to stay away from dogma based discussions.

Here's a great article about gasoline brands...

My favourite part is:
  • Tanker heading to a Shell station? Load up the gasoline, and then pour in the Shell additives into the tanker. Bam. Shell gas. Tanker heading to a Chevron station? Load up the gasoline from the same terminal; add in the Chevron additives into the tanker. Ding ding. Chevron gas.
  • Just how much of these additives are added into the tank? The amount varies, but for some it’s a quart of additives for an 8,000 gallon tank.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:48 AM
fidelcastrol
2nd Gear Member

Here's my favorite quote from that same article:
The next time you see a teenager pumping “premium” gas into his “performance” Civic (when it’s obvious that his engine isn’t turbo nor swapped), be a friendly (& nosy) gas-pump neighbor and inform him on his wasteful spending.

If the kid informs you that he doesn’t care because he’s using his mom’s credit card to pay for the gas, you may promptly consider the alternative of battery and assault
Old 03-23-2010, 11:44 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

The difference is, however, how clean the gas stations tanks are. Most of the bigger name companies (exxon, cheveron, etc.) have certain standards they have to follow when it comes to cleaning their tanks. Discount Zones, etc., do not have these same standards, which causes their gas to be a bit crappier. Don't believe me? Find someone who has their car very precisely tuned (not just your run-of-the-mill canned tune) for a specific fuel grade and ask them about Discount Gas Station fuels.. it normally will cause the engine to ping and/or misfire. I have several people who would back me up on this claim as I have personally seen it happen to their cars, so this is not just some myth or BS story I'm trying to make up here.

So yes, I agree all the gas is the same, but the cleanliness of the gas tanks is my personal deciding factor

Last edited by trailor; 03-23-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:13 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor
The difference is, however, how clean the gas stations tanks are. Most of the bigger name companies (exxon, cheveron, etc.) have certain standards they have to follow when it comes to cleaning their tanks. Discount Zones, etc., do not have these same standards, which causes their gas to be a bit crappier. Don't believe me? Find someone who has their car very precisely tuned (not just your run-of-the-mill canned tune) for a specific fuel grade and ask them about Discount Gas Station fuels.. it normally will cause the engine to ping and/or misfire. I have several people who would back me up on this claim as I have personally seen it happen to their cars, so this is not just some myth or BS story I'm trying to make up here.

So yes, I agree all the gas is the same, but the cleanliness of the gas tanks is my personal deciding factor
Well that may be it then because when I have run cheap or no name gas it is very noticable that the car doesn't run as well.

Last edited by vanquish; 03-23-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:26 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I thought this paragraph in the article pretty much summed that up:
The fact of the matter is, differences between brands are less important than difference between a station dealer’s quality control with the gasoline it provides. Your best bet is to frequent a quality, reasonably priced station with a consistent supplier.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:22 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alex46
This came up in another thread and being in the oil business I thought i should share this information. Most of you probably know, but just looking out.

If any of you go out of your way to a certain station where you think your getting better quality gasoline, your not. Some stations really make it seem that you are, but All the companies do the same thing. Whoever has the cheapest on the market is what Every company buys.

Also the difference between 87 and 91 is so small you can barely tell the difference in a lab. If you use 91 i recommend that you use 87 and just put octane booster in. Unless you guys know for it to be harmful which i have not heard.

Regards

91 octane pump gas is still cheaper than 87 plus a bottle of octane booster and will net almost identical results....so it doesn't make any sense to pay more for the same thing. Even if you get STP which is the cheapest. Here a couple of nice articles explaining octane ratings and octane boosters. They explain it way better than I can.

http://volvospeed.com/Reviews/octane_boosters.html
http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0...ted/index.html
Old 03-23-2010, 01:31 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

100% agree.....I ran a 10psi Procharger for 2 years almost that saw only two kinds of gasoline: 76 and Chevron....never once any detonation and I checked my plugs often. They just opened a Costco 4 miles from my house which when a member was 35 cents cheaper a gallon for premium......I tried a tank out to see if there was a difference.

Bad Idea. The first and only time that car saw boost running that gasoline, I blew a 3/4" chunk off the ring land on my #2 piston. Believe what you want about Gas/Station quality...but like he said, you won't find anyone with a serious setup running Discount Gas (at least not for long). It's not worth the risk for roughly a $1.50 a TANK

Last edited by tbirdscwd; 03-23-2010 at 01:41 PM.