4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Caster/Camber Plates?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:45 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03gt04mach1
I ordered the Camber Bolts from Summit, and put them in yesterday. Like you said, EASY install. Thirty minutes a wheel. Thank you WOLVERINE!! Funny, I waited all these years putting off getting the PLATES, and right when I was going to order them, your one small sentence saved the day. And $30.00 at that, with shipping. You saved me so much aggravation.
did you get it aligned? did they say they could correct it better if they didnt have em?
Old 04-05-2010, 06:35 PM
offthewall158
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03gt04mach1
I ordered the Camber Bolts from Summit, and put them in yesterday. Like you said, EASY install. Thirty minutes a wheel. Thank you WOLVERINE!! Funny, I waited all these years putting off getting the PLATES, and right when I was going to order them, your one small sentence saved the day. And $30.00 at that, with shipping. You saved me so much aggravation.
what exactly did they do? i dont see how a simple nut and bolt can help adjust camber that much.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:38 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

+1....Give me the deal on camber bolts. I am about to install my springs and want to get these if they will work for me.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:18 AM
5pointslow91
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by offthewall158
I'm hoping to install a set of eibach pro kit lowering springs on my 02 mustang GT next weekend but I read somewhere that I need caster/camber plates in order to properly align the front end after installing the lowering springs. Is this true or can I do it without them?
i bought my car with eibach loweingr springs and the guy didnt do caster camber plates, some how the alignment isnt messed up, i will look and see how the tires hang next time its jacked up and also check out the tread wear
Old 04-06-2010, 07:20 AM
wolverine8490
3rd Gear Member

The camber bolts replace the top strut bolt. The shaft of the bolt has a cut out that allows you to push the strut in or out depending on what you are looking for. It is kind of hard to explain... Here are the instructions for the install. They explain it a little better:

http://static.summitracing.com/globa.../sps-81280.pdf

The Adjustment range: is -1.75° to +1.75° of camber. My mustang is lowered 1.5" all around. I still had room to add more camber with the camber bolts if I would have needed.

I took mine in for an alignment after I installed the bolts even though I thought it looked good. They said my camber was dead on and they did not have any issues with the camber bolts. Hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:47 AM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by offthewall158
what exactly did they do? i dont see how a simple nut and bolt can help adjust camber that much.
It's a BOLT that goes into the top strut hole. The bolt has a CAM on one end, so when you turn the Camber Bolt it moves the top of the wheel in and out. I adjusted mine to max positive camber to pull the top of the wheel outward. I have Eibach Pro Kit Springs, so the camber was not that bad. But, if you lower the front too much with lowering springs, you may need CC Plates anyway. The bolts only go so far on the camber, +1.75 to -1.75.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:36 AM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by budders
did you get it aligned? did they say they could correct it better if they didnt have em?
Not yet, getting new tires. Waiting till then. Even if I didn't get it aligned, it's much better now than the way it was before I got the Camber Bolts.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:40 AM
budders
4th Gear Member

so will the camber bolts get you closer to 100% aligned thab without them? Do think I should just hand em to the shop and be like here, these will help you? Or should I sintall the myself? Fo I have to cut/drill anything because I think you said they have slots cut out
Old 04-07-2010, 09:46 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

I thought you didn't need CC plates for anything less than like a 1.5 or 1.75" drop? I know for H&R SS you do and for Eibach sportlines you will, but I thought you didn't need it on a pro kit. Maybe I am wrong here.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:17 PM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by budders
so will the camber bolts get you closer to 100% aligned thab without them? Do think I should just hand em to the shop and be like here, these will help you? Or should I sintall the myself? Fo I have to cut/drill anything because I think you said they have slots cut out
It depends on how low your car is, to whether you can get 100%. They're easy to install. If you can tighten and loosen bolts, there is nothing to it. Just take off the wheel, loosen and remove the top strut bolt, and install the new Camber bolt in it's place. BARELY tighten it, then loosen the bottom bolt just enough so you can move the wheel in or out, by turning the new camber bolt. You can look at the movement as you turn the bolt to see whether the wheel is tucking under the fender or pulling out toward the outside of the fender. Just follow the easy instructions, you'll have no problem.

Quick Reply: Caster/Camber Plates?