4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bone-stock dyno #'s, 87, 89, 92 octane tunes on SCT.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 02:09 AM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Bone-stock dyno #'s, 87, 89, 92 octane tunes on SCT.

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

ORIGINAL: Dave2000GT

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

I'm willing to bet that on a stock GT, you could probably expect a 5-10hp increase with a simple tune, and 102 Octane..

Anyone know Chemistry well?? Can anyone clarify any of my statements??

JT
95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 12.7 @ 103mph (R.I.P.)
00 Mustang GT - Back in Action, still too slow.....
Did you even read any of the earlier posts in this tread.. ?????

With a simple tune on my STOCK Mustang and 92 octane I gained over 14 RWHP.

I sure did read the posts, but it also comes down to each car running differently...

I've seen people put higher octane in their cars, and actually have NO increase in HP/TQ...

Hell, I've even ran the test on my car from 87 to 93, and noticed insignificant increases..
Factors to consider:
O2 sensors: How old are they? Do you KNOW they're running correctly?

Quality of Fuel: Do you know if this 92 was "fresh" gas? The only people I know that run anything over 87 are my friends who drive performance cars, or those who are required to by manufacturer (i.e. turboed/SCed cars) Meaning that some of the local gas stations may not "Re-up" on Higher octanes as often, causing gas to go stale, or separate..

Type of Tune: I've known MANY people who have been able to completely tune their cars w/ a simple hand held tuner by using feedback from their sensors (A/F, Pyrometer, Knock sensor, etc). Not everyone can afford Dyno's.

Maybe I should have clarified a little further... My mistake..

JT
00 Mustang GT - Back in Action, still too slow......
I'm not sure exactly what your talking about... do you mean you ran JUST higher octane gas and saw no increases ?? This is expected.. however.. anytime you advance your timing beyond stock, you WILL see an increase in power, unless the motor is messed, and using higher octane gas allows this.. so I don't see how it couldn't have helped you if you really did advance the timing ?

Also, why are you asking these questions about my sensors / quality of gas ?? I don't get it, my car dynoed fine and all the sensors were working properly.. honestly man you're confusing me..
Old 08-04-2005, 09:53 AM

I'm not sure exactly what your talking about... do you mean you ran JUST higher octane gas and saw no increases ?? This is expected.. however.. anytime you advance your timing beyond stock, you WILL see an increase in power, unless the motor is messed, and using higher octane gas allows this.. so I don't see how it couldn't have helped you if you really did advance the timing ?

Also, why are you asking these questions about my sensors / quality of gas ?? I don't get it, my car dynoed fine and all the sensors were working properly.. honestly man you're confusing me..
Wait... I apologize, it's early in teh morning and I don't feel like going back to re-read some posts on the first page... Did you have your timing advanced while tuning this? If so then I completely understand why you tuned it for premium.

Old 08-04-2005, 10:11 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ummm.. higher octane doesn't really help your numbers as much as you think. lets see.. i ran 225RWHP with my stang once, the second run i had 239RWHP. same day, same mods, it just ran faster the second time. your car isn't going to dyno the same exact numbers every time.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000Si

Wait... I apologize, it's early in teh morning and I don't feel like going back to re-read some posts on the first page... Did you have your timing advanced while tuning this? If so then I completely understand why you tuned it for premium.
yes timing was advanced
Old 08-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nanaki

ummm.. higher octane doesn't really help your numbers as much as you think. lets see.. i ran 225RWHP with my stang once, the second run i had 239RWHP. same day, same mods, it just ran faster the second time. your car isn't going to dyno the same exact numbers every time.
That's a good point, but that seems like a pretty big difference without any changes happening
Old 08-04-2005, 06:40 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Deannostang

All I am saying is tuning specifically for 93 octane would probably make your engine very, very octane sensitive to where you may even have to add an octane boost on top of the 93 to make the car run at its best. Not all high octane gases perform the same in different vehicles. I run Sunoco premium in my Aurora's Norstar 32V engine and it loves it. I was riding on fumes one day and out of necessity had to settle for Hess 89 in my Mustang GT. Guess what.....the car has run better on Hess than either Sunoco or Citco. Go figure? The most important thing to do when buying gas is stick with the same brand as much as possible.....ya, just listen to me, huh....Hess? All oil companies have their own preferred list of additives they put in their fuel, especially premiums. Your car's computer will tune your engine for optimum running on any given fuel you continuously put in your tank. You can sense in one tankful who's gas may be best to stick with for your particular car. Also, buy gas where they have a high turnover so you can avoid the possibility of getting water in your tank.

Go find some 93 and tune her up for that octane. I would be curious to see how much additional power you get out of your engine. Might be surprising either way......who knows.
Dave:

This is what I'm referring to.. I suppose you've never had "bad gas" before from a gas station... I have...

Another thing, just by advancing your timing, you can actually cause harm to your engine, if you're not careful... Obviously with higher octane you can advance your timing without fear of pinging... Try advancing your timing on just regular 87, and dyno it, and I bet you may end up losing power, from the knock sensors going nuts and pulling Timing.

When I had put higher octane in my car, I had actually advanced timing, and saw an average increase of 3hp across the board, but saw a greater TQ increase of close to 5ft/lbs... Also, remember that your MAF and O2 sensors are connected, and if either one is acting irregularly, you won't get the best possible results.. 14hp from 92 is awesome though..

All I was originally saying is that on average you can gain a little HP w/ just high Octane gas... I wasn't trying to state that you were crazy, or that it was anything new.. Like I said, 14hp from 92 Octane is a really good start...

JT
00 Mustang GT- Back in Action, still too slow.....
Old 08-04-2005, 08:27 PM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

One thing, the 2V engines do not have knock sensors.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:33 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Great Cornholio

One thing, the 2V engines do not have knock sensors.

I learn something everyday... What does the 2v use to pull timing when predetonation occurs??

JT
00 Mustang GT - Back in Action, still too slow.....