4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:42 AM
FAKnGT
1st Gear Member

Exclamation oil cooler

Ok, so something is wrong with my oil cooler on my manual transmission 98 gt. Water is getting into my oil. I drained it out yesterday and just filled the expansion tank with water. This morning I get home and pull the oil drain plug and straight water started pouring out. I have an adapter for an automatic and it is hooked to the engine right now just to test and make sure no more water is leaking into the pan. Sure enough, nothing is coming out so obviously the cooler is faulty.

Has anyone ever swapped out their oil cooler for the adapter for the automatic tranny one without any bad results? The only thing that would need to be swapped out is the sensor and I am considering doing it to save me the $400+ that the dealership would want for the new part. Honestly, what does this thing need an oil cooler for???

---Upon further investigation and even the Chilton book telling me that all "Cobra" mustangs have an oil cooler...I found this http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-6642A Which is also the same cooler shown in my book for the Cobra.

That is the oil cooler on my Mustang. It is also the same oil cooler that I pulled off another Mustang GT at pick-a-part.

This is what I am seeing for my car http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-6881BA and that looks just like the automatic adapter aside from the coolant inlet having a curb to it...but this one shows the correct sensor. So somebody is lying...or is wrong. Anyone with a manual transmission mind popping out and see if this is the same part on your car? I would still like an answer for my first question though if anyone knows.

Last edited by FAKnGT; 05-26-2010 at 11:16 AM.