4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 02:58 PM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

Default steering problems

well, i installed my new headers.. and i had clearance issues with my steering shaft.
i tried to bang a dent into the headers, but it's not possible unless i take the headers out and try that way. so i figured the only other way to fix the problem would be to buy a new steering shaft with better clearance.

looked around and found the flaming river steering shaft, thanks to help from a member on here.
ordered it from steeda, and the thing came in today. looked like it was the same diameter and such as the old steering shaft, causing me to question if it'd fit or not, but as they advertised that it ought to fit and give me more clearance i went along with the installation anyway.

and here i am now; the universal joint on the shaft will not fit into the rack and pinion steering assembly, since the shaft of the steering shaft is banging next to the header.. i managed to get the thing half way in and now it won't move anymore, in or out. with enough banging i'm sure i can get this thing out, but there's no way that this will give me more clearance. if anything, it gives me less clearance because there's a nipple for grease right where my header is.

so, my questions are as follows:

1) due to false advertising, steeda ought to take this product back, correct? i mean, they say right on the webpage that it will offer more header clearance, and neglect to give dimensions. i ordered it assuming it'd be skinnier and fit properly, but it's not even close.

2) any other suggestions as to how i can fix my steering problem now?? i'm thinking maybe i should grind down the old steering shaft where it's touching the header; it's only like 1mm of clearance issues, at most, with the old steering shaft.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:24 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: steering problems

I would not grind on your shaft LOL. Tkae the header out and bang a small dent in it. I know its a pain but it needs to be done.